Skipping school

DisplacedDuck

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
People get so uptight enforcing attendance rules, the nature of which was to keep kids from being truant and out of trouble.

I can assure anyone who's curious, a guardian taking a kid outdoors is the best thing that kid could be doing with their time--schooling included.

Last edited:

riverrat47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Like Grif's son, I was always looking out the window or reading about mountain men or reading Field & Stream. I DID NOT WANT TO BE IN SCHOOL!!
If you miss school, the school district loses some $$$. The school administrators see the kid as a dollar sign. I was very lucky as one of my mentors was the Supt. of Schools. NO teacher or administrator said JACK when I missed days to go hunting or fishing with him. Those hunting and fishing trips nurtured what ended up being a career in natural resources.
As a side note, I"d love to run into my 9th-grade science teacher so I could tell him what my career was. He basically told me I was scientifically illiterate. No, Mr. Myers, you were just a bad teacher.

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Grif's son, I was always looking out the window or reading about mountain men or reading Field & Stream. I DID NOT WANT TO BE IN SCHOOL!!
If you miss school, the school district loses some $$$. The school administrators see the kid as a dollar sign. I was very lucky as one of my mentors was the Supt. of Schools. NO teacher or administrator said JACK when I missed days to go hunting or fishing with him. Those hunting and fishing trips nurtured what ended up being a career in natural resources.
As a side note, I"d love to run into my 9th-grade science teacher so I could tell him what my career was. He basically told me I was scientifically illiterate. No, Mr. Myers, you were just a bad teacher.

I wish I could like this 20 times. :tu

To be fair....and I bet @riverrat47 would agree. This is not an indictment of the vast number of dedicated and truly impactful teachers/administrators in our schools. For sure....there are legions of them....some in my own extended family.

BUT....there is a faction of our country who thinks teachers can advise our children without parental guidance.

NO, MORONS, YOU FORKING WILL NOT!!!

Last edited:

eugene molloy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Only skipped once ....... in 1963 the year of "The Big Freeze" with snow all over for months.

Studying for my ONC Chem (aged 17) early one morning the Principal, Mr Billington, came and told me there was a phone call. Turned out to be my Uncle Geoff.

"I've been to your Mom's house and picked up your gun. There's a zillion woodies on the sprout fields at Harvington. Find some way of getting out and I'll pick you up in 20 minutes. Oh, and bring some Lab coats." Excuses duly fabricated, me, Geoff and Johnny Walton collected 550 woodpigeon at days end, though the pigs had a few too.

Next day Billington gave me an old fashioned look and a bundle of work to do that night by way of catching up. Good bloke, so yes there are some.

Last edited:

OneShotBandit

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before we got into Waterfowl hunting my late brother & I would skip school on the Upland Game opener and go rabbit hunting!

newduk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My dad used to tell me not to let school interfere with my education. I loved it when my brother who is ten years older than me, would check me out of school to go fishing.

Vahunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Kinda hard to skip school when you are in sports. Miss a practice and you sit.
Oh, you poor Yankee. :dv:dv I guess duck season there is when you're in football season... The bulk of our hunting seasons here are between football and baseball. (I didn't play hoops. I guess that may have been the reason....)

Vahunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My senior year me and a buddy came in at 9:00 every Friday (school started at 7:15) from Thanksgiving until Christmas break. Assistant Principal said the last tardy was the final straw but would let the principal determine the punishment. The principal was a big outsdoorman. He looked at us and said to be honest. We told him we had a hot woody hole and couldn't pass up the urge.

He said all would be forgiven if we invited him to this said woody hole tomorrow morning. We met him that Saturday and the principal and myself got us a band. I got the $100 reward band.
Had a physics teacher who, in retrospect, was a pretty good guy. He still hunted and got a nice 10-pt the year I was in his class. He took a classmate who lived in town (and is still a good buddy of mine) hunting some. In retrospect, I have no idea why I didn't invite Mr. Fox to hunt with us.....youthful shortsightedness I guess.

waterswatter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
@salthunter,

Over in your general area of the state, don't the Shelly Russets let kids out to help with potato harvest? Not exactly skipping school, but still, they're learning real-world lessons.

waterswatter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I was for pulling the kids out for some "practical stuff" but beings that my wife is a teacher, she opposed that and so our son got perfect attendance several years and our daughter was close.