Skybusting it's not just for refuges.

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by nbp, Jan 22, 2010.

1. nbp

nbp Senior Refuge Member

i saw one of the saddest displays i've seen in a while today. someone over on the ambassador was set up for geese west of the skeet range near the fence. he was blazing away at 100 yard shots (no exageration) on at least 2 flocks of geese that i saw. when we saw it we weren't sure if those mile high geese were what he was shooting at until he did it a second time.
    some one ought to tell him parking his 4 wheeler more than 100 yards away might help his decoy shy bird problem. well that and not shooting at every thing that comes into the same zip code as him. you would really be helping us all out.

2. utduckguy32

utduckguy32 Senior Refuge Member

Had the exact same thing happend yesterday at my club (2 seperate times),had 2 flocks coming in wings set glideing in and to other club memebers skybust the heck out of them.Unreal still livid over it.My A*& was out there at 6am in the cold one guy shows up at 9am the other at 3pm and does this crap! I dont understand why guys think they can kill geese at 100yds SOMEONE EXPLAIN this to me.Its really sad you pay the money to limit the BS that goes on public ground but they just seem to sneak into the clubs anyway..oh I forgot the guy who came in at 9am did the same thing to my buddy the night before and also busted another flock over 130yds or more that we let fly right over us. There have been MANY times I have let birds go past my blind when I see they were'nt working my spread and left them be,I must be to nice I guess,but I won't stup to there level if they need a goose or duck that bad then they are really selfish indivduals.One of the guys tried to explaine himself and try to justify why he did it knowing he was in the wrong then said after the fact he porably should have let them go they were a little far.YAH THINK??:mad::mad

Sorry had to vent still ****ed off about it,really put a damper on a great last day with a great group of guys that was hunting with me.
    I am going to prupose a skybusting rule in our club if you do it in the cases like yesterday your done and kicked out! They just educate the birds and ruin the hunting for everyone else and the other clubs.

3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Ethics sometimes go out the window for some when it come to geese.
    Sometimes its lack of expierience/knowledge. Ive hunted with guys that dont do much goose hunting,.. They are alwyas amazed how far away the geese are,. Geese can look big at 70 -80 yards, and right in your face at 40 yards
    Then there are the guys so desperate they shoot at them all,.. and sadly every once in a while they will drop a goose at some extreme range

4. bubba41

bubba41 Elite Refuge Member

We had problems with members filling the sky with shots everytime they heard a duck or goose. We took notes of who it was and let the president take of the matters and it worked very well. I would having hunted the Ambassador alot myself with a friend who is a member you could talk to Penier who ever is in charge to make the point you are very upset. Just look at the log book or who's tag was hanging on that blind number. I do feel your pain. Goodluck!

5. nbp

nbp Senior Refuge Member

i was hunting far enough away it really wasn't an issue. it 's just sad how some are willing to screw over there club mates in order to get shots.

6. bubba41

bubba41 Elite Refuge Member

I'm with you a 100%:tu
    Thats all they are getting is just shots. You should bring it to someones attention. Don't they agree to not skybust when they join the club.

By the way I heard the Ambassador had some good shoots the 2 weeks. Did you guys have any luck?

7. Pintail Hunter

Pintail Hunter Elite Refuge Member

What you guys have been saying is right on. Lets face it, sky busting just screws things up for everyone, regardless of where a guy is set up.

The geese that you see around the south shore this time of year are golf course geese that are moving back out to the marsh. The south shore area that they move in really isn't all that big. Once the skybusting starts it just makes it harder and harder to decoy birds anywhere on the south shore. I don't care how good your decoys or calling is or if you're hunting somewhere the geese haven't been hunted all season.

They wise up within a few days but even faster with skybusting. I was out three times in the past week and every time it got harder and harder to get geese to look at your spread. First hunt fantastic, second hunt okay, last hunt, a bust. FYI, we only shot a decoying birds.

I passed up on a shot yesterday because the birds weren't finishing and the shot was over my right shoulder. They were close enough I could hear their wing beat. Could I have tried? Should I have tried? Maybe, but it's not about pass shooting birds. Call me a snob but I avoid pass shooting unless it's at an easy single. Even if you scratch one down it just makes the others go higher and higher and waryer and waryer. More likely you'll just sail one and never retrieve it.

I will post up this thread at the Ambassador Club for all to see. I would ask that anyone else who sees similar behavior at their club do the same.

By the way, want to see skybusting??? Just wait a month for the spring snow goose season. It happens big time whether you are hunting in Delta or Corinne. Last year I heard some guys bragging about pass shooting off a dike around a northern Utah duck club. Made me sick. Get a life I say. The horror stories of skybusting in Delta are a black eye on Utah waterfowlers.

Oh yeah, let's not forget about the guys that rally ducks. As if that helps the rest of us!!

8. utduckguy32

utduckguy32 Senior Refuge Member

Pintail,

WELL SAID!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap

Glad to see there are still guys out there that care and have ethics.After yesterday I had my doubts.

Just found out this evening the one guy who sky busted me twice hunted my blind and had 2 limits of geese today.I hope he felt good about it and enjoyed himself,cause he may be gone next year.