Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Skynyrd

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by TheDuckSlayer, Feb 5, 2019.

1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

A 5 second google search shows that Gary Rossington is still alive and touring

creedsduckman likes this.
  2. TheDuckSlayer

I bet you $20 and a Jager bomb that you can’t catch a lobster with the claw thing in the Flora Bama

3. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I guess I was thinking about Billy Powell.

4. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Saw them summer of '88. It was near the end of the "Tribute" tour.
    I was 16 years old.
    It was ungodly hot and humid.
    Drinking Jack Daniels in the sun and consuming mushrooms seemed like a splendid idea in the morning.
    Not so much by afternoon.
    Ran into my uncle (about 10 years older than me and WAY more of a seasoned party veteran) at the show.
    Out of the kindness of his heart, he made sure I didn't die.
    I lived to tell the tale. To this day, it's still Thanksgiving table fodder.
    I blame Lynyrd Skynyrd.

JP, duck dawg, Ramblingman and 5 others like this.
  5. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

We should all blame Leonard Skinner.

6. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

Saw the "knockoff" a few yrs ago here in bossier, was 15' from the stage. They rocked the house, opened for Hank Jr.

bill cooksey likes this.
  7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I used to go to every Hank Jr. show around me.

8. TheDuckSlayer

You woulda been fine if you had drank some water. Getting dehydrated is too easy when you’re drinking alcohol when it’s hot

num70 likes this.
  9. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

Weird. I can still remember hearing about the plane crash on the radio as I was getting ready to go hunting that morning (October ? 1977). I loved the music and the band. Very sad I never got a chance to see them live, other than seeing them this summer at Moondance in Walker MN. Free Bird is still one of my favourite songs (especially live versions). Still some of my favorite music after all these years.

Absolute best is the version of free bird at the Knebworth Fair show in 1976. Quotes from the concert : "
    After breaking out the fish-paste sandwiches – we knew how to live in the 70s – a band we’d never heard of launched, without fanfare, into a song that was evidently called Freebird and, as it gradually metamorphosed from gentle uplifting ballad to all-out guitar firefight, the vast audience’s response went from indifference to adulation. Thirty-one years on and I’ve never witnessed a crowd react to a support band in the same way that Knebworth did to Lynyrd Skynyrd. Somewhere between the first chorus and the second verse the band went from unknown names to full-fledged stars. “Skynyrd caused a real buzz backstage,” remembers Freddy Bannister. “We all wondered how anyone could follow them.” An hour later, we all began to wonder if anyone would even try."

The Stones had the stage setup with their lips and tongue , and none of the other bands were supposed to use the "tongue" . When the guitar solos started, Ronnie Van Zandt can be seen pushing the guys down onto the lower part of the stage and the guitar work that followed impressed everyone.

[​IMG]

Free Bird (my favorite version)

creedsduckman and TheDuckSlayer like this.
  10. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Watch that documentary and you might question his faculties. He's somewhere between Keith Richards and meeting the maker.