Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Sleep Apnea?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by J.Bennett, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

1. My wife doesn't stay awake at night counting how many times I'm choking on my tongue unable to breathe, then tell me about it in the morning (I feel like this is justification itself)
    2. I'm well rested in the morning
    3. I have zero fear of dying in my sleep
    4. My kids *should* be able to see me when I'm older and when they're older

2. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

Look, before I answer....your definition of "worked up" and mine must be drastically different. :l

I'm just trying to figure out how we got to the point where we need a machine to sleep.....and how many folks were actually leading some death defying life before the machine became nearly standard equipment.

3. WindInHisHair

WindInHisHair Senior Refuge Member

White privilege killed him, I heard

Rebranger likes this.
  4. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

Thanks bro.....I figured you and a few others could have this discussion.

What does your doc say about #1? Is there a serious risk of dying?

This year, at my yearly work physical, I was handed a "sleep questionaire" with questions regarding snoring, waking up in the middle of the night, falling asleep at work, etc. In 33 years that has never come up.

Is this some new science....or is this some new insurance scam? Is it a bit of both?

This is coming from a guy who has been to hundreds of "sudden death" cases over the years.....I don't remember one who went to sleep with no health problems and woke up dead. It just doesn't happen.

5. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

@Grif life expectancy of a person with severe sleep apnea (classified as >40 events/hour) is 10 years less than normal. As I mentioned earlier, it is causative for cardiovascular and neurodegenerative disease as well as associated with insulin resistance. Those three maladies collectively are the cause of roughly half of the deaths in this country. That doesn't even get into hormonal issues, lack of alertness and mental clarity, and the host of other issues from not getting into stage 3 or 4 sleep because of apnea.

6. jcruse64

jcruse64 New Member

You're right, "worked up" was not fair, sorry.

I gave my reasons, similar to others. Stop the multiple "stopped breathing" episodes in my sleep that could not be good for my health and that scared my wife every time she noticed it. Put a stop to the snoring that kept my wife awake constantly and also allowed her to see me constantly stop breathing and give her a scare. Stop the snoring that made me a huge nuisance to anyone one I road-tripped with. Stop the almost constant waking headaches I had from apnea/snoring/not breathing. I also noticed pretty quickly that I was a lot less groggy when I go to work in the morning. While the nuisance of my snoring didn't directly affect me (I never noticed, lol), it did directly affect others. I've road-tripped/roomed with others that did snore badly, and it is terrible, and you can't sleep well when others do that and you're in the same sleeping area.

I'm not up on sleep disorder history, so I can't say if this was or wasn't a problem before 15-30 years ago. I don't know much about the science/study of sleep apnea, or how/when the CPAP was developed. I DO know that it can work to alleve the apnea/snoring issue. Is it a medical/insurance scam? Don't know, I just know CPAP can be effective in managing snoring/apnea. To me, it's like medicine, or stents, or bypass surgery; it's another method that has been developed to address a health problem. I would think apnea would be a health problem; if a person stops breathing multiple times every night for more and 10 seconds, can that be good for your health to be losing oxygen?

7. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

My doc doesn't consult me about #1. That's a quality of life thing that most understand. My ol lady puts up with plenty of my **** and for me to give her the peace of mind not to be counting my breaths is the least I can do.

I will say that when I had my sleep study 8ish years ago, they told me they thought that any amount of snoring was some level of sleep apnea. I'm a lot like you and I immediately thought, that's a scam. I don't understand all the ins and outs of it, honestly. I do know that insurance wants to see proof of regular usage of the machine in order for them to pay their share of the bill, they have been very defined about that.

I can really only speak for myself, and say this: unless vaporized distilled water is a miracle sleeping drug, my cpap has enhanced my life and the way I feel in the morning, exponentially. It has been a life changer. Whether that means I will live longer or not, I have no forking idea. I just know that having a good night's sleep is important to me and I really got used to it before we had two toddlers.

8. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

Mostly....reading some of your stories. I wonder if I need it.

I promise, if I do......you forkers are gonna pay! :l

jcruse64 likes this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan Elite Refuge Member

Good grief. How many different ways do folks have to explain it. If you’re not a fan or don’t buy it then carry on.

brentbullets likes this.
  10. 10ga.crazy

10ga.crazy Senior Refuge Member

Immediately. Funny this is the second thread in as many days on two hunting forums I frequent about sleep apnea. I no longer have sleep apnea but I had it extreme too stopping breathing 55 times an hour on average. The best way to deal with it is lose the weight and get active. I lost alot of weight(210lbs) and the apnea along with it. I eat right and exercise daily either walking or riding a bicycle and at 57 years of age am in the best shape of my adult life. I no longer require a cpap and no longer have high blood pressure. In fact I gave my CPAP today to a 77 year old pensioner from another hunting forum, whose CPAP gave up the ghost and he could not afford a new one.

J.Bennett likes this.