Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Small Goose Decoy Spread ?'s couple dozen or less

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by illinideer, Sep 12, 2021.

1. illinideer

illinideer Refuge Member

It's my second year of hunting but I'm the new guy in the blind so still trying to take it all in Our early season will be over in a couple of days. We're hunting cut silage fields with some corn still standing that we hide in. Their setting the decoys off to one side about 25 yards outs in hopes of them landing right behind them which would put then right in front of us. But what is happening they are swinging in but they land in front of the decoys cutting them off. I've made the suggestion of lets move the decoys back in front of us so if they do land in front or behind we have a shot. But all I hear gotta have a kill hole which I understand with bigger spreads. I watched them do the same thing last year when they land in front of the decoys it puts them out there a ways.
    I was able to hunt a couple of times by myself and I put the decoys right it front of me I missed more that I would of liked but I had them in my face. So am I thinking right on such small decoy spreads that the geese would rather cut them off than pitch in behind.
    Thanks for any feed back

2. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

Do what works for you but, when hunting with (stubborn) others it's hard to convince them to change. So many times guys are unwilling to change things up. "It worked yesterday" isn't the attitude to have. If you are a guest you'll have to just sit back and enjoy the day.

AppalachianHollers likes this.
  3. AppalachianHollers

AppalachianHollers Senior Refuge Member

Next solo hunt when you hear honking set your phone up on your blind bag or use belt clip on a stalk to record them decoying your way.

4. BlueGoose10

BlueGoose10 Refuge Member

Get less stubborn friends.

Neighbor Guy likes this.
  5. illinideer

illinideer Refuge Member

Last night was a little better I got them to bump them in a little closer but still upwind around 25 yards. The small group that came in still dumped right in front of them. We were able to take 5 once they landed avg shot was 30-35 ish. Would rather take them on the fly not much swinging room in standing corn.
    I loaded up a box of Oakie's HG load of #2's and have been very happy with them so far. The bird I shot last night bang flop and last week I had to run one down that another friend got a piece of, roughly 40 yards same result. Running a moss 930 carlson IM choke

6. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Elite Refuge Member

High winds we put more decoys behind us, and some in front.

normal hunting season and conditions we make a “J” “U” “X” “W” or “O” with the blinds towards the low side of the letter.

early season, we get creative and shoot them how ever they want to work. About 60% in front/off to the side and 40% behind the blinds in small groups. Small groups (2-8decoys) and open pockets seem to work best for us in the early season.

7. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

unnamed (7).jpg

8. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Once the first flock works and it’s not exactly where you want them, can’t you just slide down the corn rows so they line up better?

9. AppalachianHollers

AppalachianHollers Senior Refuge Member

Don’t you go making too much sense, dude.

10. WindInHisHair

WindInHisHair Senior Refuge Member

FFA69EE3-40EF-4579-820B-EB38641F955B.jpeg