Small pit

salthunter

Reaction score
I suggest only 2 things for those thinking of building one. Do NOT use OSB at all. Use only ground contact rated treated plywood and wood framing as it'll hold up long term, also use triple coated screws or hot dipped galv bolts/buts. As regular treated starts laminating after a couple yrs, untreated cdx laminates year 1. That's my expereince in the last few yrs with the plywood and wood framing out there.
Thanks for adding, Your right, We live in a desert and have gotten buy for two years on free OSB sub flooring. I used mostly galvanized or decking screws on parts that are to stay together, The others are expendable and I leave them drop to the bottom of the pit.
My CDX is on its 4th year this year, and I can likely get 5,6 more years out of it. Typically the pit goes in the end of November and I pull it In Febuary or March. I need for the soil on top of the skirting to soften to scrape it off and dry a bit, the dry enough to find the screws around the skirting.

The lid pocket has been used 5 years, I did treat the pockets with wax( hot summer day job. ) so the slider lids dont get frozen in

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Your extremely lucky to be able to use OSB on a pit. In my area if you don,t at minimum use 3/4" salt treated plywood framed 16" on center w/salt treated 2x4,s your wasting your time. Even then your best to fiberglass tape joints to stop leaks and either paint or wrap in roofing paper to minimize heavy wet soils from rotting out quicky and leaking. Thats with big bx salt treated. A little better life from marine grade Salt treated. Of course pits here are left in place and not removed from year to year. The moving around is done with bushed A Frames and those are used in fields with no pits allowed. Many use concrete septic tanks for permanent pits.

salthunter

Reaction score
Your extremely lucky to be able to use OSB on a pit. In my area if you don,t at minimum use 3/4" salt treated plywood framed 16" on center w/salt treated 2x4,s your wasting your time. Even then your best to fiberglass tape joints to stop leaks and either paint or wrap in roofing paper to minimize heavy wet soils from rotting out quicky and leaking. Thats with big bx salt treated. A little better life from marine grade Salt treated. Of course pits here are left in place and not removed from year to year. The moving around is done with bushed A Frames and those are used in fields with no pits allowed. Many use concrete septic tanks for permanent pits.
The OSB was free.
I do not back fill the temporary pit , the 3/4 ply is more that adequate with out further framing. Our mineral type soils being frozen most of the time the sides do not sluff much. If a Pit was in place year around and in moist soiles CDX wouldnt work,, But here in the desert it works fine for Nov-February

Latest posts