Decoy Forum Sponsors

Small Spreads

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by JohnF35, May 18, 2020.

1. Backwards bleed

Backwards bleed Senior Refuge Member

Also I forgot about big push days! I always use a big spread of goose decoys with a handful of duck decoys on push days. IMO, it takes a highly visible spread to get their attention when they are migrants on the move.

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I refuse to hunt with no decoys at this point in life. Even if I only use a pair of flat black 2 liter bottles, there will be decoys. I did the pass shooting, jump shooting, sitting on the X waiting with no decoys. No real enjoyment there for me and enjoying the hunt is what it's all about isn't it? I also 100% refuse to hunt the X and burn the area but that topic is for another thread.

Tuleman likes this.
  3. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes Senior Refuge Member

I usually use fully flocked and airbrushed decoys on normal days, but on migration days, we go to the lake and throw out all our ugly decoys in a giant spread, and that usually does the trick. I’d like to try it with a bunch of goose floaters but don’t have to room

Backwards bleed likes this.
  4. Backwards bleed

Backwards bleed Senior Refuge Member

IMO...Looks like you know the only kind of plastic goose floater to own. I have some bigfoot originals that I have used every season since the first year they hit the market. They look good with minimal touch ups here and there through the years. All other brands I have owned leaked, heads always fell off or they looked like crud after a few seasons seasons. They all were sold or hit the trash pile! The only plastic goose floaters I run besides B.F. originals are the old carrylite one piece floaters.

Billy Bob likes this.
  5. Matt Joseph

Matt Joseph New Member

What is small to one, is large to another? I use 32-36 decs (18 greys making a 'J-hook', 6 Gwing teal on one side wide, 6 Bwing on the other side wide, 2-6 widgeon swimming toward the hook point about 25 yards out. Minor adjustments with teal and widgeon each hunt keeps it fresh. I only use AvianX (lethal). An old timer told me about this spread three seasons ago and I never looked back (Elusive Greys fall for it 95%). Only once last season did Greys land outside of our spread!

6. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

I run BF floaters most of the time. Living an hour and 15 minutes from where they are made I like buying local and made in USA. I run a bunch of the original Big Foot full bodies as well but this past season I was carrying one 6 slot decoy bag into hunt so I ran some GHG on stakes so they would fit in the bag easily. I also hunt over old Flambeau floaters and in swift current we run old carry lite floaters. Big Foot decoys that are made in Iowa are some of the most durable decoys made. Same goes for G&H goose decoys.

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 7:43 PM
    Billy Bob and Backwards bleed like this.
  7. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Not to mention Bigfoot floaters are high quality

Billy Bob likes this.
  8. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Big marsh, small potholes, my 27 "best"- odd superstition, work best- a mix of regular and magnum. After the first push of ringers it trickles down to small bands and you have to leave an adequate landing zone. I find small island blind setups the best. Sure is less work and the lines are real short!