Smaller snow goose spread

swifthunter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
In the spring I use 100 full bodies and have better results then using a big sock spread or 600 full bodies. My though is if your going small, keep it realistic and leave the socks at home

duck central

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
You guys should stop giving away all the good secrets !!!! LOL
I can't tell you how many Snows Ive taken over less than 100 decoys.. I don't use any full bodies and can get the same results with Soc's.
Ive been doing this for the last decade and have seen how Most of the time it's the Hide. Where you can make things look REAL it can be amazing to see the reaction of the birds with less decoys.
Also finding the right bunches of birds is essentially what makes this happen. That my friends takes Years of watching birds and assessing the situations that happen in the field.
With Snows you have to really think on your feet most of the time. Those geese can really beat you down at times and frustrate you more than can be said but that what makes in fun!!!!

BIGFOOT56

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
You guys should stop giving away all the good secrets !!!! LOL
I can't tell you how many Snows Ive taken over less than 100 decoys.. I don't use any full bodies and can get the same results with Soc's.
Ive been doing this for the last decade and have seen how Most of the time it's the Hide. Where you can make things look REAL it can be amazing to see the reaction of the birds with less decoys.
Also finding the right bunches of birds is essentially what makes this happen. That my friends takes Years of watching birds and assessing the situations that happen in the field.
With Snows you have to really think on your feet most of the time. Those geese can really beat you down at times and frustrate you more than can be said but that what makes in fun!!!!
Yes I totally agree, I think the hide is the most important along with location, Im not hunting pressured birds, I have 60 fullbody GHG snows and blues and 100 FA socks I hunt alone or just with a buddy or my son most of the time so Im not hideing alot of hunters, I also know you can have the best and biggest spread and the geese will fly right by, hell I see them ignore live geese on the ground so that is why it is called hunting.

duck central

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Very true bigfoot.. I hunt a lot alone and with maybe 1 other most days. 12 dozen can get it done some days really well. Even pressured birds fall pray to smaller spreads , they aren't looking for that and they make a mistake.
Ive got 40 years in on these birds and they are still not only fun to chase but keep you guessing. If you really LOVE to hunt these birds you kind of have to like PAIN!!!!
They can beat you down if you let them. LOL

bird junkie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
This has been my first season to set a rig for snows (Canada). We shot finished birds at no more than 10yrds out of power hunter layouts we limited every day and could of shot a 100 easy. We ran 12 dozen sky flys 5 dozen dove bomb snow silos and 3-5 dozen dive bomb Canada silos.

waterswatter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've had success with a few dozen full bodied snows but mainly when the wind is blowing hard ~ 20mph.

BIGFOOT56

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Very true bigfoot.. I hunt a lot alone and with maybe 1 other most days. 12 dozen can get it done some days really well. Even pressured birds fall pray to smaller spreads , they aren't looking for that and they make a mistake.
Ive got 40 years in on these birds and they are still not only fun to chase but keep you guessing. If you really LOVE to hunt these birds you kind of have to like PAIN!!!!
They can beat you down if you let them. LOL
Nothing like goose hunting Please make it stop lol, yes the best kind of pain, have a great season.

BIGFOOT56

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
This has been my first season to set a rig for snows (Canada). We shot finished birds at no more than 10yrds out of power hunter layouts we limited every day and could of shot a 100 easy. We ran 12 dozen sky flys 5 dozen dove bomb snow silos and 3-5 dozen dive bomb Canada silos.
Good job Nice dogs in your avatar.