Smoked duck breast pellet grill recipe?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by PaulinKansas, Jan 12, 2020.

1. PietroDIII

PietroDIII New Member

Smoked two the other night. Fresh sage in the cavity with maple syrup rubbed over the exterior. Hit the whole thing with S+P and smoked over apple

2. Riverfisher

Riverfisher Refuge Member

I'd brine it and cold smoke it...Pick a cold day. Fire the smoker, and give it a couple hours. Never get the meat temp over 130. Then cool it to room temp and cook it, or vac pack and freeze. You will notice the smoke flavor in the finished product. Do it with ribeyes, pork chops and duck with great results...Also homemade bacon.

3. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

I did this and it was excellent. Smoked it around 200 and the IT was 150, it was still rare inside. Gave some to my dad, and he pooh poohs everything. He thought it was delicious.

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

We must read different books. Even pork is recommended at 145.

5. jjohnson_714

jjohnson_714 Senior Refuge Member

I breast out with skin on. Lightly salt. Smoke skin side up for about 30 minutes (I'm like a hint of smoke, not overbearing). Then I move to a heated cast iron skillet on medium heat, heat skin side down until mostly cooked, then flip and hit the bottom side until it hits whatever your temp is. I prefer mine at 135-140*

6. badhabit

badhabit Elite Refuge Member

Tcc send me the title of one of your books. I rely on Rytek Kutas's book Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing 4th Edition. I was wrong he recommends 152 degrees.

7. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Lol, I don't have any particular books in mind; didn't exactly make notes in case you asked. I think the FDA actually recommends like 165 or such, but you'll be hard pressed to find a recipe that suggests such, at least in my experience. That said, making and/or curing sausage isn't quite the same as grilling or smoking a duck breast.
    Why would you eat one grilled at 135 but not smoked?

8. badhabit

badhabit Elite Refuge Member

Bacteria in processed food as compared to cooked for consumption. So you're questioning me about smoking temps. Read the book. I'm out.

9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I'm questioning you about grilling vs smoking a duck breast, not grinding it up to make sausage or ground meat. It simply makes no sense that you'd eat a grilled breast at 135 but not a smoked one.