Snake boots revisited

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Yes, I did a search because this has been discussed before...went through 2 pairs of Rocky boots, both disintegrated- since then I no longer want this brand; Redhead brand also fell apart after only three seasons; 2 pairs of Lacrosse- these were the best but though rated waterproof, began leaking after second season, and eventually sole separated and glue held briefly but the bottom of boot fell apart. I have invested in waterproof socks, this should help during both turkey and duck season. My Lacrosse Grange have held up the longest, still waterproof but not really made for long walks, nor are they true snake proof boots- need a Wide size and they don't make those, have to use a 13 regular and I feel the pinch.
    I am in Florida and need an uninsulated boot, the few cold mornings we get a pair of wool socks suffice. Some have recommended Mucks but I am wary of the neoprene, probably too hot! I've seen the Irish Setter Vaprtrek and Danner snake boots advertised, both are c. 200$, good reviews but also reported leaking after two seasons. Any suggestions for lightweight/breathable "cool"/ waterproof/ snake proof boots/ 13 Wide ??

2. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I would never buy Rocky boots. I and a few friends have all had the soles literally fall apart in chunks.

3. Glades Ranger

True! Had the same experience, as I stated above. I am thinking to go with either Irish Setter or Lacrosse gortex type, and they will probably leak after a couple of seasons but I did get waterproof socks that should mitigate against that. They offer better traction than rubber boots, and are easier to walk in, and breathe better than rubber- this is important down here where the temperatures tend to be high. The Lacrosse Grange are good for launching/ loading the duck boat and limited marsh use, and can be a good backup turkey boot for a shorter walk.

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I had some Rockies that were great to wear, sneaker-like comfort. They too fell apart within 2 years.

Now I wear some form of "muck" boot with the rubber/plastic outside. I'm far more concerned about water getting in than snakes, but they don't fit snugly to your shin, so if something were to strike you, it's likely to not even reach your leg. One downside is that they still don't hold up well. My last pair (Itasca) went two years, and the bend of both boots at the toe has busted open (likely from squatting down). Meh... Maybe Sitka will come out with some real waterproof snake boots one day. :dv

5. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

Go look at the Academy Magellen uninsulated rubber boots that are high shin (18 inches maybe?). . They are camo. Just for a comparison. Usually a 22$-25$ price. Not snake proof but tougher than neoprene IMO. Interesting that I have three years on first pair. Bought another pair as back p when these leak. as I never expected them to last. they are bound to quit selling them at that price since always too good to be true stuff disappears). I hunt N Fla, L A, And the rest of the wet south with them . And have grouse hunted mountains in them. If they fit you right it is a stupid price for the boot.

6. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

7. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I have the muck boots, some redhead snake boots and crocs.

Where you and I hunt turkeys any boot below the mid thigh is going to get water in it. I have resorted to socks and crocs. The muck boots are light but even in low water the neoprene sweat and you end up with soaked socks after a long morning.

If it is a totally dry hunting spot, only one spot I can think of south of the big lake fits this bill, then I’ll wear the redheads.

The crocs and socks let me hump for miles.

8. skimerhorn

skimerhorn Senior Refuge Member

I've had my irish setters for 3 seasons. No problems yet

9. Glades Ranger

May have to get the Irish setters, I walk plenty and the rubber types just are not effective...will invest in some watetproof socks for the inevitable leaks

10. Glades Ranger

So I called a Red Wing outlet and they told me the Irish Setters are discontinued!