Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Snake repellant

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Clark, Jul 4, 2021.

1. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Screenshot_20210705-222427_Google.jpg
    Common, eastern, chain all the same snake. I doubt a Florida kingsnake is in a birdhouse in TN. Also it doesn't look like the snake in his picture.
    Screenshot_20210705-222354_Google.jpg
    This snake does. I stand by it's a rat snake.

2. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

This is what those who hate snakes use down here. (New Yorkers mostly) Whatever it is that is in moth balls allegedly keeps them away. But then your yard smells like moth balls.

Just keep an eye on the little lizards. (Anolis?) When they are up on the side of the pool cage or up on the side of the house - and not down on the ground - you know there is a snake is around.

3. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I was at Ft Stewart Ga. one time and took a weekend scuba trip to the North Florida Springs. On the way back we stopped at the Okiphenoki(SP) swamp on the Florida/Ga line. They had old pics of some huge Eastern Diamondbacks!

Vahunter and creedsduckman like this.
  4. AU Buckshot

AU Buckshot Refuge Member

Won’t hurt my feelings if it’s a rat snake. I Googled ‘King snake’ and about a hundred popped up…all different. Found one that looked like the one in the bluebird box.
    As far as copperheads and cottonmouths, been tromping around the fields, woods, and bottoms of W. Tn for about 65 yrs. Very seldom see either one and don’t think about them.
    Most interesting snake experience was the time I came across a mating pair of rattlesnakes while squirrel hunting in Benton Co. near the Tennessee River.

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

The past few years, we have had an issue of snakes at our duck clubs... Rattlesnakes. For the most part the kids have enough common sense to run like he!! when they see a snake (any snake), and rattle snakes generally give some warning... But I do NOT want them in or near my cabin, I am very, very careful with the dog (and kids) during early season.

Last spring, I had my buddy, his kids, and my kids out, and we ran across several in the compound... My "cabin neighbor" who is also a good friend bought some electronic devices, as well as some pellets to spread around our cabins...

This was the first spring I did not see any rattlesnakes in a few years. I won't say the stuff worked, and I won't say it did not work.

I think these are the devices he got:
    https://worldtechoutlet.com/product...BGfIstQSnQVzNZdjpEHVc68b4xbl_UTMaAvmKEALw_wcB

Clark and Fowler267 like this.
  6. There.is.no.ST

There.is.no.ST Senior Refuge Member

Umm...okay, sure.

Pine snakes are a separate species from rat snakes:

Pituophis melanoleucus = pine snake
    Pantherophis spiloides = grey rat snake

Corn snakes are indeed red in nature - unless you'd care to argue with some of the primary literature cited at this link:
    https://www.tn.gov/twra/wildlife/reptiles/snakes/red-cornsnake.html

I'd also disagree with your identification of the snake in the nest box as a king - the coloration and pattern more closely resembles a rat snake of some type. If you'd like, I can send an email to KY's herpetologist, John MacGregor, for confirmation. He's generally very responsive on such things.

Without trying to be too much of an ***, I'd respectfully suggest you work on your knowledge of snakes.

creedsduckman likes this.
  7. There.is.no.ST

There.is.no.ST Senior Refuge Member

Your squirrel hunting location is very near to my home. Are you out this way?

8. AU Buckshot

AU Buckshot Refuge Member

From Madison Co. , but was hunting near Eva (Benton Co.)

9. Trevi

Trevi Senior Refuge Member

I had a herpatologist tell me they were the same. But I was a kid before the internet and never looked it up so thanks for the correction. I have heard at shows many times how the bright red corn snakes you buy at the pet store are bred to be that colorful. I’ve never caught one in the wild that was more than a faint grey/orange. Here’s one I caught the other day in a basement of a neighbor’s house who thought it was a copperhead and wanted me to kill it. And it is def a corn snake. Square pattern on its back gives it away. We’ll have to agree to disagree on the snake in the bird box. It could be a rat snake but I think it’s too stout.

Attached Files:

10. Trevi

Trevi Senior Refuge Member

Yeah could certainly be a gray rat. I wasn’t tracking Tennessee that’s prob a little far out for a Florida anything. But it kinda looks like this?? I just think it too stout to be rat snake unless it’s gotta belly full of birds lol. D9804C29-4A50-4579-A80B-6B68DC992E43.png