Snake Training?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Fowler267, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

We are not covered up with rattlesnakes in my area... But Land Between the Lakes is a nearby recreation area with 160,000 acres or so that does have rattlesnakes. I like to hike there and hunt mushrooms etc and have only seen three rattlers but fear having one of the three dogs get bit...

We do have cottonmouths and copperheads in the area also...

My question is; Can you use a non venomous snake to teach a dog snake avoidance? I don't know of anyone who does the training locally... And really have no plans to keep the real thing to be more realistic.

Will a non poisonous snake mixed with bad snake skins or scent work? Does anyone sell snake scent for the training?

Does

2. Pete Test

Pete Test New Member

NO NO & NO, You cannot do this yourself. If you value your dog you will find a trainer who uses live defanged rattlers. All my dogs have been snake broke & several years ago I was fishing a lake in MT, both my labs stuck their noses into a nest of young water snakes. Its a lot cheaper to have a dog snake broke than to replace a well bred dog. Living in MT and now AZ I don't know about the other snakes. but a good trainer in your area will. Pete

3. Fowler267

I Don't know of anyone that does it in my area. (Kentucky) I have heard of it being done in Ga/Fl and Texas but none that I'm aware of locally.

4. Fowler267

From my reading, I figure if I can catch a non venomous snake; I can do quite a bit of visual training on my own. Contrary to the above post, I get the idea that it is possible to get the dog to learn to avoid no shoulders. Scent would be a big bonus if any is available for purchase? If not, I may hunt down a copperhead or cottonmouth and remove the head and still get some yard training done.

5. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

It’s a snake......lead by example and run like hell. :reader Of course, the dog won’t be able to scream like a little girl. :dv I hate snakes.

WHUP ! Hen and Fowler267 like this.
  6. Labsforme

Labsforme Senior Refuge Member

Snake training? I have enough problems with dogs. What FF program? Hillmann? :) :) Hmmm can't use toe or ear pinch either.

KwickLabs and Fowler267 like this.
  7. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

I recently signed up for a professional rattlesnake aversion class for my Golden. Real live rattlesnakes, pro trainer, etc. Lots of folks with all kinds of dogs there. The idea of course is the handler gets the dog close to the different snakes one at a time and jolts them pretty good with the e-collar when they get too close. This is repeated twice with the last step being the owner is on one side of a snake, the handler on the other, and the owner calls the dog, which should take a wide birth. It was fun watching the dogs in front of my turn go through the drill. By the end they wanted nothing to do with the rattlers. I need to premise the rest of my experience that my dog has had professional training and is well conditioned to a collar, even though she rarely needs it except pheasant hunting, cuz I'm such a crappy shot. But I digress. When it was Ruby's turn she she got close to the snake, the handler zapped her, and she gave that slow curl of the head and turned to look at me. He tried again with the same result. The zap didn't make her scared of the snake, she was turning to me for a command, wondering what she might have done wrong. The guy was a bit flummoxed, but we took a break and tried again later. He may have put some fear in her the second round, but I'm not sure in my case I had the desired outcome. I'm by no means saying don't do a rattlesnake class, it just didn't work too well for us.