Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Snapper

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

I believe that's true... I also believe DNR will remove them for you.

2. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

Older, grown turtles don’t require much feed. We would feed ours once every three days. Usually fed it fish when we were fishing or a frog. I think they say feed them a volume about the size of their head.

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

DNR will remove snapping turtles for a landowner? Who finances that?

4. Ruination

Beats me, but I've seen it done.

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Seems an odd service.

6. Ruination

I have seen plenty of snapper traps on public land by DNR. Maybe they were for research though.

The guy had some pull and he was a bit shady with the details tbh.

7. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

until recently the Iowa dnr would stock a pond for you on your own private property, provided your ground and water quality met certain parameters. Of course everyone started crying foul when it became known that they didn’t have to grant public access even though the stockings were done out of public funds.

anywho in those days, if you had a problem with snappers, mink, otter, and what have you, Mr Green Jeans would come take care of it for you.

Ruination likes this.
  8. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

Got tired of trying to feed them, had those *******s crawl out of all kinds of things. Started eating them without going through any flushing. Never noticed much of a difference, but the ponds they came out of weren't terrible.

Pressure cooker and a frying pan are your friend in my opinion.

9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

The city animal control guy will come remove them, too. I know this for a fact because I once watched our local now-retired animal control guy respond to a snapping turtle call at the post office. Now, one thing you gotta know about dear old Sammy, is he always had a huge chew of Redman in his cheek and his dialect was unintelligible. You couldn’t understand a word he said; just like Farmer Fran from Waterboy. Sammy was also on the bottom on the IQ curve. He was a nice guy, but wasn’t very smart. So, being that Sammy spent most of his time napping in his city work truck, I’m sure he was elated to get this snapping turtle call. So Sammy shows up, waddles out of his truck, and assesses the situation. And this was a big snapping turtle- the size of a wash tub. So after Sammy stands there for a few minutes and scratches his butt and lets the hamsters make a couple spins in his head, he goes back to his truck, digs around in his tool box, and finds a long-handled snare. Like the ones they use for aggressive dogs. So Sammy makes his way back over to this monster snapping turtle, reassesses the situation once more, and then slowly and cautiously reaches towards the turtle’s head with the loop of the snare. When he gets to within a couple feet of Mr. Snapper’s big ol head, the turtle retracts his head into his shell. Confused and defeated, Sammy retreats a few feet to scratch his head, wrinkle his brow, and re-evaluate the situation. After about a minute passes, the turtle slowly and fully extends his head out again. Ah yes, I could visually see hope return to Sammy’s demeanor. A chance for redemption. So Sammy takes a couple steps back towards the turtle, and positions himself for another chance with the snare. I guess he thought he was just too slow, because this time he thrusts towards the turtles head much more quickly... but not quickly enough. Mr. Snapper retracts his head before Sammy could get the snare on it. Damnit! Now Sammy is mad. He stomps away, puts his hands on his hips, obviously very frustrated that this turtle is besting him in a game of wits. Now... I sh|t you not, I sat there for no less than 30 minutes, watching ‘ol Sammy repeatedly stab at this turtle with that snare. It was one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen. Oh, and I guess it must have been a slow news day, because the local news truck showed up and started recording the event. :l

I still don’t know if Sammy was ever successfully able to remove that snapping turtle from the post office parking lot. I was on lunch break and had to go before he could come up with a better plan.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  10. Randy

Randy Senior Refuge Member

Had a good friend that made some nice $ up until a couple years ago trapping and selling to a turtle market up in NJ. Had people covering a lot of the state trapping for him. There is a limit here in NC. Seems that the females (could have that backwards) brought more. Kept them in fenced in pen. Dog pens. Chilled trailer for transport.