Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Snow Geese Spread

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by phoenix921, Feb 18, 2021.

1. phoenix921

phoenix921 New Member

I am wanting to start investing in my own spread for future seasons. Besides an electronic caller, what would be a decent number of decoys or socks to go with to start at with. I would like to be able to move them daily as I have different fields that I can hunt on and chase them. Any advice or recommendations is appreciated.

2. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Can you drive the fields w/a truck and trailer, what’s your budget, chasing feeds or migrators, how many buddies do you typically hunt with? All of this factors into socks or fb’s and how many.

3. phoenix921

phoenix921 New Member

Yes we can drive the fields with a trailer, and these fields are feeds. I only hunt with around four people, and as far as the budget I would like to keep it around $500 to start for decoys.

4. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

With that budget it feels easy to say go with socks. Offseason I've bought used socks like Skyfly as low as $25/doz in decent shape. You'd be at 240 in that instance which is enough for hunting feeds and is starting to make a fair white spot on the ground.

Although some might say if you're hunting hot feeds anyway you don't need many, and you can also find used GHG shells for $100/doz at times during the offseason and have yourself 60 highly realistic decoys.

If you can commit $500 per year for 3 or 4 years you'll be up at 6-700 socks which is a respectable setup. That's about what I personally own and am willing to set alone, and then I team up with guys who have the same numbers themselves and we get up towards 2000 when we're all together.

5. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I’d contact whifflemaster in the classified section as he has 2000 socks for sale.

6. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member

Make your 4 buddies that you hunt with each bring $500 to the party. $2000 would allow you all to invest in enough socks to really get after them. 40-50 dozen high quality socks would give you a very respectable spread to have some good shoots over. Just my opinion having started just like you but buy new and build your spread over the next 3-5 years. Buying others junk will get you by but I think in the long term better off growing slowly with new out of the box decoys you purchased is the best route. Pick a reputable sock manufacturer and stay with that brand vs. mixing and matching stuff. As the saying goes Rome was not built in a day!!!

Getting your buddies on board with making an investment would give you a really good start in some quality hunts. Just would remind you to mark your individual decoys so if there is a break up you can clearly separate and move on.

Good Luck

basinmeyer likes this.
  7. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

that’s what me and my buddy did. After the initial investment to have enough to hunt over, I added 10dz each spring. Now, I’m up to about 1100 or so decoys and content with that. I’m not into fixing decoys much so I may buy a dozen or two to replace worn/broken ones but that’s it.

8. Donald

Donald New Member

defiantly don't buy cheap socks at the beginning, I bought 250 DOA socks for my first set of socks and was a complete waste, 2 or 3 rip every hunt if the winds are high, have white rocks, not saying they are the best cause them are the only 2 I have used and they are better then the DOA for durability and storage,

9. MO Drake

MO Drake New Member

Would definitely go with what others have said and start with a smaller quality sock spread and build each year. I started back in college making my own from tyvek home wrap and buying up used dekes as I could afford. After a couple years I made the switch to all whiterocks. Not saying to only go with them but I do like going with all one type of decoy for the ease of picking up and storage. I currently run 80 doz WRs and 4 guys can set up or tear down the spread in roughly and hour. I rarely leave my spread overnight. Large enough for migrates yet portable and it all goes in my pickup it’s room to spare. We hunt all whites so no blinds taking up space.

10. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

I have several brands. I like the white rocks for quick setup and ease of storage. Can tuck 40 or so under my arm and put them out very quickly, and pick up is just as quick. Store them in Rubbermaid bins. Silosocks work well. Tanglefrees are tough on the field. But harder to store. Bought them on sale and in garage sales.