Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Snow goose floaters

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by MO Drake, Mar 18, 2021.

1. MO Drake

MO Drake New Member

Looking to build a floater spread for next season. What’s the best option for buying floaters? Paint old duck floaters, buy during sales, contact manufacturers directly?

2. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Contact companies direct if you buy 10+ dozen. We have had great luck with Hardcore floaters, downside is the removable heads. I think the new model of those have a perm head. The GHG ones we run are 10 years old and still holding up well. Painting old duck and goose floaters is a fun way to spend time in the summer, but unless you do everything perfect, you will be doing it every few summers. We dumped all repaints and are just buying new now.

MO Drake likes this.
  3. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Might want to reach out to Flatland Flyways in Hecla, SD. They were getting rid of like 180 dozen GHG floaters rigged for pretty cheap. Not sure if they sold them all or not.

Otherwise I would contact companies directly, reach out to rogers and see if they'd work with you. The GHG floaters and the new Hardcore floaters are probably going to be the best overall options, get a one piece decoy! Either way it probably isn't going to be very cheap to get a big spread together. I can't think of the companies name off the top of my head but they're based out of nebraska and make hard foam snow decoys.

MO Drake likes this.
  4. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

The Decoy Factory.

5. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

I like Decoy Factory full bodies and the fact that he is a one man operation. He will work with you. Just be advised, their floater is very heavy. It has a built in weight. Might be needed for some big water, but not for ponds and sheet water. Also, the head connection is weak and if you try to permanently connect the head to the body, they break off easily right at the connect point. If you can mange these issues, they are a good value and a nice looking decoy on the water. Most every other floater on the market will have some sinkers if left out.

6. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

I’ve had real good luck with ghg floaters. 10 plus years on some, no leaks.

I bought a 6 pack of the new, softer hardcores. I like the small size. Only used them for 4 days, but I’d buy more.

I’ve got a lot of tanglefree floaters two years old. Stay out for 3 months. They might need a fresh coat of white this year, next for sure. I think calling companies direct and making deals is your best bet

7. MO Drake

MO Drake New Member

Thanks guys. I have thought about talking with Rogers as they are only about 20 minutes from the house. Figure I might be able to work something out. Was just curious what everyone else has had success with.

Huntges11 likes this.
  8. Huntges11

Huntges11 Senior Refuge Member

Go to Rogers if they're only 20 mins from your house. I drove down from Neb to deal with them direct on a bulk purchase of fullbodies (300+) in Feb and they gave me a screamin deal. Discounted more than when I ordered them on the ph the week before. AND they are extremely nice people there.

9. i_willie12

i_willie12 Elite Refuge Member

IF your starting from ground 0 I'd look into the re-paint route, scoop up old ducks or honkers on facebook, look for cheapo ducks on sale during year. I painted 200 in the last 12 months to get a started spread then will slowly start adding snow floaters And we had 6 dozen full bodies so i put them on tall garden stakes in the water, mix in some honkers for color break up snow.jpg

grnhd, MO Drake, 870 and 2 others like this.
  10. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

It’s the coot decoy pulling the snows in. :tu

i_willie12 and MO Drake like this.