Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Snow goose hunting Louisiana

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by cole carroll, Feb 1, 2020.

1. cole carroll

cole carroll New Member

Is it just me or has anyone else struggled with trying to hunt snows or geese in general in Louisiana.. I’m from the north area and hunt near jones and mer rouge and it just seems that trying to do what they always say and find a feed or the “X” is impossible in this state due to everything being leased and past season pressure.. they just seem to loaf around everywhere and never stop and feed .. maybe it’s just me but I know I’ve tried what everyone else does up north and it never seems to work here

2. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Find a good traffic area and set up a field. Don’t worry about chasing an X unless you have seen them in the field at least 2 days straight. Generally you can have some success with finding an X for younger juvenile snow geese but if dealing with 20+ year old adults don’t count on figuring them out.

Also, if running traffic set expectations appropriately......25-50 bird days are excellent for a group of 4-6 hunters!

Good Luck

3. cole carroll

cole carroll New Member

Well like today when riding around it just seems as if they were jumping every 20 mins 1 field to the other... don’t understand how guides can always stay on the X when most of the time it’s on leased out fields

4. hannibal

I would guess very few do stay on the x day after day after day no matter what they advertise. There may be the exception that has unlimited access and connections! Even with that rarely is it a guarantee of an “on the x hunt”.

We are in NW Missouri on a private farm that we run traffic on. Its not lights out every day but it is a lot of fun with very little effort over the course of a 30 day Spring Season where we are located. Just have found chasing the X is waaaaay too much work for our middle aged crew and 20-60 bird days are just fine for us.

Put in some time to find a good traffic route, secure permission for the Spring and have at’em!!!

Good luck.

Neck Collar and CUPTDUCK like this.
  5. cole carroll

cole carroll New Member

Is there any way I could keep in touch to consider talking to you? Ask you a few questions to try to learn some things? I’m fairly new like 6 years into it but would like to ask a few questions about something’s I’ve learned to compare

6. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

As he said, in areas with locked up land, getting on whatever you can and running traffic is about the only option. I dont like this but hunt an area sometimes that is like this. Its either traffic or not hunt, and has produced some decent hunts.

7. dog walker

dog walker Senior Refuge Member

Hunting snows in La isn’t the same to me as what I’ve done north of us. The trips I’ve been on in Missouri it’s been lots of migrators. Everything in La is leased up. I never even try to hunt them here because if that. I run up to Ar to hunt them.

The best hunts I’ve had in Ar are either finding an X or migration days where they drop from passing flocks and start spins. Similar to what I’ve done in Missouri. I used to make trips with friends to SW La and it doesn’t compare to the hunts I’ve been on north of us.

8. hannibal

Always love talking White Geese. Reach out anytime. I have plenty of time on my hands this Spring due to a slip on the ice resulting in a ruptured Quadricep tendon (knee). In a straight leg brace for approximately 4-6 weeks. Surgeon told me to throw away my tags as too risky for re-injury so I will heed that advice. Gonna be a rough Spring for me for sure as I have been chasing since the Conservation Order hunts started many, many years ago!

good luck this Spring!!!

hunting1 and Neck Collar like this.