Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Snow goose on the grill

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Two Bears, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Two Bears

Two Bears New Member

We just finished eating snows on the grill.
    Dang that was good !

2. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Darn right they are good eating other than making them into jerky or summer sausage!!:yes Put mine on a rotisserie in my Weber grill with a drip pan in the middle and coals around the outside of the drip pan and cooked to MR!:tu

3. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

Pretty hard to f-up a spring snow. They ain't far behind a sept bluewing...and leaps and bounds above a honker, as far as I'm concerned.

4. 1Duck slayer

1Duck slayer Elite Refuge Member

Exactly. People call them sky carp and they don't know what they are missing.

5. Mrs. Ripline

Mrs. Ripline Senior Refuge Member

Best thing is to thinly slice the breast meat, a small piece of jalapeno pepper, a square of cream cheese, roll up, bacon around the outside and grill to med rare. Absolutely fantastic, I think snows are the best tasting bird around. Enjoy.

6. mrdux

mrdux Elite Refuge Member

Since my clients keep and eat all their snows, I'm asked a lot how I prepare them.

Take the breast fillets and wash them good then soak them overnight in a heavy salt water solution in the refrigerator.

Take them out of the salt water, wash them good and place the fillets back in a bowl covered with buttermilk. Back in the fridge overnight.

In the morning, pour off the buttermilk and wash the fillets before putting them in your favorite marinate and back in the fridge.

When ready to cook them, wrap them in bacon tightly, spread marinate over them and grill them no more than 5 minutes for each side and until the bacon looks done but not crisp.

I've had friends who swore they would NEVER eat one of those nasty things who stuffed themselves with the fillets I cooked this way.

7. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member

I used to soak the blood out of the goose meat, but not any more. Snows aren't as good as steak but I consider them to be suprisingly decent if treated like beef. How many of you soak the the blood out of a good ribeye?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  8. ft.worthlumberjack

ft.worthlumberjack Elite Refuge Member

I'm pretty sure a shoe wouldn't be bad after all that work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalph

9. cs

cs Elite Refuge Member

when cows start flying I will start. Not a apples to apple comparison

10. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

When I slice them thin for stir-fry, bacon wraps, or deep frying I do give em a good rinse simple because blood clots gross me out. :l

Other than a good rinse I don't soak them over night, with the exceptions of brining for smoking or occasional marinade. One quick and easy way to burn through a lot of birds is sliced thin, put em in the deep fryer for 2 min without breading, then hit em with tony chachere's as soon as you take them out. Even the most picky (I will never eat wild game) eater will put away pounds of "sky carp". :l