So the year is over How do you rate IT ???

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by JDHog, Dec 2, 2019.

1. JDHog

JDHog Senior Refuge Member

Well another year gone and with it all we have left is the memory s Good or Bad how was it for you and what do you want for next year ..???

2. JEYESLAYER

JEYESLAYER Elite Refuge Member

It would give it a B but that's coming from a guy who hunted more this year than I have in the last 4 years combined. Lots of water everywhere made it seem like the ducks were really spread out and I had a lot of 1-3 duck days...maybe I just never landed on the mother lode. Hunted a lot of new areas as well. Got a lot of ideas for next year already. I would like a north and south opener on different days but I do live in the south zone:dv

JDHog likes this.
  3. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

I had fun in October. I would like it to stop raining and water levels to go back down to normal.

JDHog likes this.
  4. Ratboy

Ratboy Senior Refuge Member

For ducks, I have had better years that is for sure. I don't base the season on if I killed a certain amount of ducks or not though. Every year that I get to hunt with family and friends it is a win in my book. Lot of water to spread the birds out and I didn't hunt as much this year either. Looking to next year hoping this little girl will be ready to go...
    Stairs2.JPG

5. Jagwall

Jagwall Senior Refuge Member

Came off of last year thinking I’d never top that. Proved myself wrong this year. Had the best mallard hunting I have ever had. Geese took a back seat as the ducks were cooperating but when I did target geese it was usually decent. Had incredible duck numbers all season with the exception of the last week in the south zone, but that had more to do with me not being able to scout. Statewide opener sucks. We should be able utilize openers and splits to get more than 67 day’s of regular duck season. I think the guys who did homework did well, guys who hunted their same ol marsh spots probably struggled.

Banded1, JDHog, woodiefanatic and 2 others like this.
  6. coyote hounder

coyote hounder Senior Refuge Member

I’ll give a 7. I know scouting and going more off the wall places would pay off. I simply am tight for time. I also take a 7yo on most hunts and that definitely shapes where I go.
    My last couple hunts were nothing short of awesome. @owendog gets props for scouting those. My early goose and teal was pretty dang fun too. Geese saved the day for much of my season.

7. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

Terrible year. Everyone should take up crossbow hunting and sell all their gear. Really could use a good mud boat on the cheap.

8. Dirk Van Schmaldlerson

Dirk Van Schmaldlerson Senior Refuge Member

Had some pretty memorable duck shoots this year. They were everywhere, so much water over here right now that every depression in a field had a pot hole. Key was scouting to stay on top of where they were. Held back on a few shoots this year to keep the spot open for another go the next day and it worked out very well for us. Geese have been good to great. After last years early season, it was a very welcome batch of juvies this year. The early cold weather cost me a couple of weeks of morning flights of geese again this year, but I've made up for it on weather days and weekends. We've had to deal with the unfortunate people problems costing everyone some large tracts of land. I really hope we can get back onto their property, only time will tell. If everyone treated landowners with the respect they deserve this type of garbage wouldn't happen. Overall I'd rate it as a solid season with many hunts shared with great friends.

JDHog likes this.
  9. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

In all honesty tho it was probably one of my better seasons until about mid nov then just lost time to scout new ground with the freeze up. The amount of dumb juvenile mallards this year willing to decoy was unreal. Probably saved the year as my woodie kill was probably at an all time low. Learning a new area was tough this year. High water and lots of morons in the usual areas. Definitely can’t cover as much ground after work as when I lived 5 mins from a launch on the Miss. Figuring it out though. Not sure if I’ll grow to like it as much as running the river but time will tell.

JDHog likes this.
  10. pointblind

pointblind Elite Refuge Member

Too soon.

[​IMG]

JDHog and Jagwall like this.