California Flyway Forum Sponsors

So... what’s your thoughts on helping the Mallards

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by mark seaters, Apr 8, 2021.

1. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

I think we all realize something has to be done we can’t just stand around playing pocket pool .
    We can’t just keep praying for rain.. and if we don’t get any this next year I’ll really be shaking my head.

And we can’t keep hoping for a huge storms in the north to push more mallards it into California and hopefully for them to relocate here

Habitats not gonna happen overnight ..

And I think we all realize it’s gonna be a long road to recovery.

I think we all know what our obvious problems are but where do we go from here

Our numbers are dropping like rocks

We have heard that the 5/1 won’t help much..

Is the 3/1 number in our future or worse yet closed all together..

Is it too little too late ??

So with that being said what’s your thoughts ???

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Sweatliner likes this.
  2. Hossdog

Hossdog Senior Refuge Member

I'm afraid too little to late because we havent done anything at all to help this situation, however it is never too late to start. It just means more years of sacrifice because of all the time that was wasted. In any event, I would absolutely support a 3/1 and 60 day season. I wish that would have started this year but yet another year goes by without doing a thing.

3. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

I am sad to say probably too little, too late. The loss of habitat and general lack of rain is a major blow. If the powers controlling the flow of water could care less about the collapse of salmon in essentially all of Ca, they really could care less about how many mallards or any other kind of duck is surviving. Like you said, we can't keep praying for rain. The wet cycle of the past X number of years could may be just that, a cycle that has ended. Could very well be the wet cycle of the past was the aberration and extended drought is the norm. Our little blink of time we live in does not cover much history. It sucks cuz' I'm soon to retire and my bass boat and decoys need WATER:z

candafish and Brottboss like this.
  4. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

1) 3/1/59 may not be very palatable but it can be scientifically backed.
    2) Until LK starts getting water you can kiss the idea of overall improved habitat goodbye. You can not be serious about long term habitat improvement and leave LK dry.
    3) If you want more water you better hope the climate starts changing back.

yellowlabhunter likes this.
  5. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

Let the pandemic do it's thing, about the only thing that might help. Thin the herd out substantially.

6. Specialbelly

Specialbelly Senior Refuge Member

hail call Woody71

Refugeguy likes this.
  7. lugnut

lugnut Elite Refuge Member

I`ve heard talk about buying land adjacent to Lower Klamath and using their water rights to flood up bypassing all the suckerfish Endangered Species Act BS.

candafish and Sweatliner like this.
  8. toulon

toulon Senior Refuge Member

Obviously drought and loss of habitat are biggest issues.

What concerns me is the break down of habitat and how all Wildlife Refuges are being managed weather state or federal controlled. These areas for the most part have all the infrastructure intact, it just needs to be managed better.

We always hear that they don't have the money to fix these issues. I think these agencies have become so top heavy there is no money left to fix these problems.

The Lower Klamath - Tule lake water problem needs to be solved whatever it takes. The feds have in the past bought water rights to fix water issues on other NVR's that are less important than Lower Klamath-Tule Lake. This is a major priority!

9. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

This is true. There is a story about it the last CWA magazine. It will cost millions of dollars but has potential. CWA doesn't have that kind of cash but don't count them out. They might find a way to get some of the big Sink guys to kick in portion of it (especially if they only get a 60 day mallard season and 3/1), then CWA could kick in some, and maybe get some matching state/fed dollars and make it happen. But CWA will need our continued membership numbers and financial support to have a chance of getting it done.

But in the short run, it's not going to be pretty. The wheat program will help some this year but it will still be a worse year than last year due to the drought, IMO. I don't think 5/1 is relevant to the conversation as it does nothing. IMO, we need either 3/1 or a 60 day mallard season, not both.

lugnut likes this.
  10. DERODOM

DERODOM Elite Refuge Member

One major issue not being discussed is the spread of trees (orchards) and its future impact. You cannot fallow an orchard. So, what is the increase on water demand from this change in farming practice? We already have major water issues and yet we keep planting nut trees anywhere possible. Open your eyes as you drive the north and south valley.... the landscape is rapidly changing. How do miles of trees effect the flyway?