California Flyway Forum Sponsors

So... what’s your thoughts on helping the Mallards

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by mark seaters, Apr 8, 2021.

1. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

2. ibfowl

ibfowl Senior Refuge Member

The Delta and many lakes and rivers in CA have been wet my entire lifetime. Instead of spending money developing dry area's why aren't they keying in on area's that already hold water. Plant drought resistant feed crops on every speck of dirt they can get their hands on and roll with the same idea anywhere that has water. And we have to start killing all of these egg eaters. NO season no limits on taking them no steel shot BS. If there isn't a few big shipments of ammo soon a lot of guys won't be hunting at all this year....Fools!!!
    If they couldn't see this coming they are part of the problem.

3. enzinn

enzinn Senior Refuge Member

Interesting observations. I remember Tom Phillips's revolutionary acorn words.

The nice thing about creating an increase in waterfowl rearing is that everything else in the wetlands and uplands benefits too. I remember the some of the USFW people fretting a very long time ago because the pheasant populations boomed in good waterfowl hatch years, which was in direct conflict with the notion of drumming out the pheasant because it was a non-native.

I wonder if the case could be made that some aquatic species will also benefit with proper application and timing of water deliveries?

So obviously completely hypothetical at this point, but how would one go about creating a conservation organization that is politically effective but also has tunnel vision for bird production? And how would they be able to get some leverage in the water delivery world?

double limit and Flyfisher like this.
  4. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

The biggest mistake is not calling Klamath "infrastructure"!:dv

letmwurk, Tommyo, Calikev and 2 others like this.
  5. toulon

toulon Senior Refuge Member

^Good point....This doesn't get as much attention as it should.....There was a day when trapping and predator control was happening a lot more....The anti's really jump on this kind of issue and maybe this is why it doesn't happen as much as it use to?...I agree a lot more predator control needs to happen, we just need to be careful and not advertise or we create more problems for ourselves.

JJBSunrise and JRS like this.
  6. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Some of the information Delta waterfowl put out there about predator control years back raised a lot of eyebrows. Most conservation organizations are oriented toward developing/enhancing habitat. How many really push for predator control?

Brottboss, J.Bennett and KID CREOLE like this.
  7. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

I’ve got a buddy that loves to hunt coons with his dogs. It’s amazing to me how few clubs will grant him access. If anyone has nesting habitat and wants the coins thinned out please let me know.

8. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Have it done in the Dakotas...

9. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

Ask your rice farmer if you can sit on the tractor during harvest or hang on edge of the field. Those fields are loaded with raccoons and skunks.

double limit likes this.
  10. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

I’ve been researching a bunch about cover crops in orchards. Seems like more people are starting to do it. That could help, but they definitely get more traffic then grain fields and timing is an issue. Don’t know if ducks and pheasants would use them for nesting sites.

double limit likes this.