Soil survey question

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Trophyduck, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

I was checking out this website to check on my soil conditions and it's potential uses....
    www.websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/

Has anyone else used this? I know a "Seepage" rating of 1.00 means it is bad for a pond because it, well, seeps.
    If looking at other used it states "ponding" with a rating of 1.00, does that mean it WILL pond. That's how I read it but it seems too obvious.

thanks

2. Truman

Truman Senior Refuge Member

upload_2019-10-4_14-38-50.png
    Try looking at the soil types as well. Will let you know if you are sitting on clay vs. sandy soils.

da fowl slayer likes this.
  3. twall

twall Senior Refuge Member

I couldn't open the link.

Contact your local SWCD. They should be able to help you. Surface soils will be more permeable. Sub-soils may or may not be permeable.

Tom

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  4. deadducks89

deadducks89 Senior Refuge Member

As has been stated above, your local county SWCD district should be able to help you get all the info you could ever want. Might be worth to try to get a .KML file version of the soil maps and bring them into google earth. That way you can zoom and look at specific areas if you have a mind to do so.

5. Swampfoot

Swampfoot Senior Refuge Member

The webs soil survey is a great place to start. Everything in there was ground truthed at some point. Might have been 50 years ago though, you'd want to check it yourself.

6. livtohunt1on1

livtohunt1on1 Senior Refuge Member

Great resource! How does one find out if lands are enrolled in NRCS activities already? I cant seem to find anything outside of making the call to the local office.

7. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Elite Refuge Member

That's your only option, and unless you're the landowner or producer they're not allowed to tell you what programs or activities are on the property.