California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Some recent photos

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Lame-Duck, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Lame-Duck

Lame-Duck Elite Refuge Member

Hi everyone. It's been quite some time since I've been on the forums. Like all of you folks, 2020 was not a great year. In spite of covid, I've was able to get out and hunt quite a bit with both shotgun and camera.

I've had a few mishaps that I wish could have been avoided:
    1.) Last December my dog Moxie had an accident hunting. She somehow scratched the cornea of her right eye. We all thought with medications she could be fixed up in no time. However that was not the case. She ended up with a terribly bad infection that all the medications we tried were unable to stop. My veterinarian. and very good friend finally had to remove her eye, since the whole infection had become life threatening. It was a bad deal, especially because she was having so much pain. As I sit here typing at my computer, she's lying here snoozing away. Moxie has made a full recovery, and you'd never know she is a one eyed dog by watching her retrieve. She missed the whole last 5 weeks or more of the duck season, which was upsetting to both her and me. So Marc and I decided to hunt the opening day of the late goose season. Moxie and I sat out all day with no geese anywhere near us. Marc joined me later in the afternoon. Just before shoot time ended, we open up on a speckle belly that we called in. The goose was up there, but Moxie had sat out in the blind the whole day watching duck after duck come right in, and having to tell her no bird. Marc tipped a wing and sailed it clear across the club. Against my better judgement I sent Moxie on a terribly long retrieve. She chased that bird for what seemed like forever. The speck could fly along the water, plus it kept diving on her. When she finally nabbed the goose Marc and I were yelling with joy! You could prolly hear us clear across the grasslands. This was my very favorite hunt of the entire season. I really realized that she still had what it takes.

2.) I had a wreck driving out to the duck club in early February with my 2019 Ford Ranger PU. I still have not got my truck back from the repair shop. Ford does not have parts available, and it does not look like I'll get it back any time soon. I had a free rental vehicle for the first 30 days, and since then, it's costing me $28 per day...very expensive and frustrating to say the least.

3) A couple of weeks ago, my doctor had me take a nuclear stress test, and the results indicated that there was a problem. He sent me in for an angiogram, and the results showed an 80% blockage to my right artery. It delivers blood to the lower part of the hear. That same day, I had a stent put in, and now I'm doing fine. The interesting part is...I had no symptoms at all, indicating that I had a problem.

4.) A few hours ago, I learned that I had a hose to my water heater burst, and it flooded my cabin. I will definitely have to deal with that tomorrow.

So, I'm throwing in a few of the many photos I've taken during the past few months. I hope you like them.

21-23A3824 phainopepla, male fs.jpg
    This bird is called a phainopepla. The last time I saw one, is 55 years ago on a field trip with my ornithology professor in college. Needless to say, I was pretty happy about this shot.

21-23A2681 pair of Canada geese fs.jpg

20-NY5A3005 California quail fs.jpg

21-23A3991 wood duck drake fs.jpg

21-MG_3945 drake pintail cl fs.jpg

2. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

Thanks for the sharing! Your pictures are always a treat.

deepwater, WoodieSC and Lame-Duck like this.
  3. Lame-Duck

21-MG_4173 Moxie with her last retrieve of the season, 2-20-21 f.jpg
    My one eyed Moxie with here last retrieve (late goose season).

21-23A5257 pair of buffleheads fs.jpg

21-S7A5292 red-winged blackbird fs.jpg

21-MG_3821 northern shoveler fs.jpg

21-S7A8792 drake wood duck fs.jpg 21-MG_4173 Moxie with her last retrieve of the season, 2-20-21 f.jpg 21-S7A5292 red-winged blackbird fs.jpg 21-MG_3821 northern shoveler fs.jpg 21-S7A8792 drake wood duck fs.jpg

4. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member

I really like that Sprig. You have always been a great photographer and I miss your posts on the forum. It was nice to hear from you. Sorry for your unfortunate mishaps, but perhaps I can lighten your load. My father has a broken hip. He for the most part has been bedridden for almost a year. My wife came over and visited with him last week and she told him about the problems she has been having with her hips. She will probably need surgery in the next few years. I told him that at least it's not broken like yours, and he replied..."Yeah, life it tough, and gettin' old ain't for sissies...at least she doesn't have to worry about ****tin' her pants yet."

dog duck gun, jzee, Lame-Duck and 2 others like this.
  5. Lame-Duck

Sorry folk...didn't mean to double post the second page. :(

6. Lame-Duck

Sorry to hear about your mishaps, Mort. I guess none of us get out of here without problems, big and small.
    Many thanks, API

7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Great photos as always. The truck will eventually get fixed, as long as you are healthy, everything else is gravy. Give moxie an extra couple of dog treats.

WoodieSC, Lame-Duck and Brottboss like this.
  8. dawgman

dawgman Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Mike! I’m very sorry to hear of your misfortunes. But happy to hear Moxie will still be hunting with you. I’ve always enjoyed your contributions to the forum especially your photos.

Lame-Duck and Brottboss like this.
  9. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Good to hear from you. Keep at it!!

Lame-Duck likes this.
  10. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Outstanding pictures. :tu:tu:tu

Lame-Duck likes this.