Sometimes Republicans are Wrong

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
HR 8167 isn’t being talked about much, but it’s horrible legislation for our wildlife resources and for every hunter, shooter and angler. It would repeal the biggest source of conservation funding in the world, and it would move our chair away from the table in conservation decision making. Pittman-Robertson was developed, pushed forward and supported by sportsmen. The only people for this legislation are republicans who are ignorant of the history of the law AND liberal environmentalists who want us out of the picture. Check the list, and make a call if your representative is supporting it.

beaker

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, my son mentioned it to me yesterday. I've cited PR many times over the years when speaking with folks who were unaware of the impact sportsman's dollars make on enhancing wildlife / the environment.

WuChang

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

mrmallerd

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Considering Southern Illinois is home to more than one WMA which is funded by Pittman Robertson funds, I requested an explanation from our Rep?

JP

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Markwayne Mullin, our esteemed Rep. (running for Inhofe's US Senate seat) only wants commentary from those residing in his district. He's got a significant audience of former supporters as he went to D. C. with one set of principles but apparently soon fell in line with the good ol boy system. Imagine, a politician doing such!

API

PAF-CA Flyway
Reaction score
apparently soon fell in line with the good ol boy system. Imagine, a politician doing such!
Sadly that happens too often. That hope for ideological purity thing is pure fantasy. Who can name a politician without warts? My own congressman Darrel Issa did 18 years in the house, took a term off then got re-elected in 2020. His recent opposition candidate was a media favorite who happened to be the grandson of an alleged participant in the Black September Munich Massacre. Like every politician, there is plenty of room to criticize Issa but at least he appears to consistently maintain a conservative voting record. Warts and all, to me that's a big positive.

Conewago duck'n

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm split on this one.
Pittman/Robertson has done wonderful things for our wildlife and habitat in this country. We as sportsman have funded lots of good with the excise tax, and can rightfully claim that hunter and fishing dollars have led the way in conservation in this country.
However we live in a time when liberal politicians threaten enacting 100 - 1000% excise taxes on guns and ammo and use the excuse that the P/R act is used already. Their goal is not North American conservation funding. Their goal is to tax you and I out of 2nd ammendment freedom.
I don't think this current bill is perfect, but I can get behind the reason for its introduction.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm split on this one.
Pittman/Robertson has done wonderful things for our wildlife and habitat in this country. We as sportsman have funded lots of good with the excise tax, and can rightfully claim that hunter and fishing dollars have led the way in conservation in this country.
However we live in a time when liberal politicians threaten enacting 100 - 1000% excise taxes on guns and ammo and use the excuse that the P/R act is used already. Their goal is not North American conservation funding. Their goal is to tax you and I out of 2nd ammendment freedom.
I don't think this current bill is perfect, but I can get behind the reason for its introduction.

If P-R is repealed liberals will be overjoyed. They want that funding gone.