Soucheray nails it - again

KENNEDY63

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The only remaining sane writer at either metro newspaper.

Who is the greater threat to our safety?

A couple of days before Christmas, Hennepin County District Judge Regina Chu ordered Kimberly Potter back to jail, where she sat Christmas and still remains until her sentencing, presumably next month.

Potter, 49, a former Brooklyn Center police officer, had just been found guilty of manslaughter in the accidental shooting death of Daunte Wright. As Wright struggled to break free of another officer, Potter mistook her gun for her Taser.

Potter has been and continues to be thoroughly remorseful, devastated and apologetic. She presented no threat to the public and was not a candidate to flee. And yet, Chu sent her back to jail to await sentencing.

Chu said, “I cannot treat this case any differently than any other.”

If that’s Chu’s standard and not a convenient show of sternness, then she should have released Potter to her family.

On Jan. 3, Chu released a criminal from jail, ostensibly to attend a family funeral. She let him out at 9:30 a.m. and he was to be back at 12:30 p.m. Shevirio Kavirion Childs-Young has not come back. He was charged in December with assaulting a police officer and illegal possession of a gun. According to court records, Childs-Young’s juvenile record is extensive and includes a kidnapping charge.

Chu trusted a repeat offender who, hopefully, is in Belize by now and not still in Minneapolis putting the public at risk. But we’re going to make an example out of a 26-year career police officer who never had one complaint filed against her in all that time.

On the evening of Thursday, Jan. 6, a woman sought safe harbor at Fire Station No. 8 in Minneapolis. A man had been following her. She was terrified. The man followed her to the station and rammed his truck through the doors. He got out of the truck and tried to get to the woman. At least six firefighters armed with axes and iron wrestled the man to the ground and held him in until police arrived and arrested him.

Shawn Coates was charged with two counts of attempted fourth-degree assault, one count of threats of violence and one count of third degree damage to property.

On the following Monday, Jan. 10, none other than Regina Chu released Coates from jail with no bail required. See, Judge Chu, you did treat Potter differently than you treat others; you didn’t let her out.

Now that Coates is out, what about the woman he was following? Is she afraid for her life?

But we are going to make an example of Kim Potter. We are going to go for the maximum sentence, because, well, the implication has always been there, but Potter’s case is not remotely analogous to Derek Chauvin’s.

Not much is known about Chu. She is apparently very private. Chu was a 2002 appointee of then-Gov. Jesse Ventura’s and has won reelection three times essentially unopposed. Trying to reach her has been futile. But if she released two dangerous criminals within a week of each other, then how many other bad guys has she prematurely put back on the street over the past 20 years?

We’ve been getting our wakeup calls. We need to be alert to carjackers and muggers and tough guys who knock down elderly women and steal their purses outside the grocery store in broad daylight. We now have another wakeup. We have to do a better job of investigating just who it is we are voting for in a judge’s race.

Put another way: who is a greater threat to public safety, Regina Chu or Kim Potter? Not even close.

Joe Soucheray can be reached at [email protected]. Soucheray’s “Garage Logic” podcast can be heard at garagelogic.com.

prairie hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not ... Believe it ... one of the local TV channels actually did a story on this ... thug disappears ...

Probably time for Chu to resign or retire.

As to the thug ... he will likely wonder in and out of the Twin Cities area ... likely returning to shack up with one of his "ladies". One of the guys that opened fire in the St Paul bar last fall had just flown in from Arizona. Drugs, cash and women ...

RingbillRon

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have always enjoyed Soucheray. Back when I was in college he wrote an article about the little corner hardware store I was working at in St. Paul. The Local Police put together a major sting operation to catch retailers selling glue to kids under 18. What a waste of time and money.

All common sense has been lost.

KENNEDY63

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
How Minnesota Went From Tom Sawyer to Huck Finn
Fifty years ago it was ‘the state that works.’ Now it’s become a microcosm of an America in crisis.

By Lance Morrow
Jan. 21, 2022 6:08 pm ET

I wrote an August 1973 cover story for Time magazine that praised Minnesota as “the state that works.” The cover photograph showed Gov. Wendell Anderson, dressed in a plaid flannel shirt, grinning and holding up a northern pike that he had just caught in one of Minnesota’s 12,000 lakes.

The story began with this archaic rhapsody: “It is a state where a residual American secret still seems to operate. Some of the nation’s more agreeable qualities are evident there: courtesy and fairness, honesty, a capacity for innovation, hard work, intellectual adventure and responsibility. . . . Minnesotans are remarkably civil; their crime rate is the third lowest in the nation (after Iowa and Maine).”

Almost 50 years later, I received an email from an old friend who lives in Minneapolis. He began: “Another report from the hinterland. The people of Minneapolis now share online updates of carjackings and other crimes. It would be difficult to exaggerate the extent of violent crime throughout the city. Everyone now knows someone who’s a victim. This will be a huge issue in this year’s elections.”

More than 650 people were shot in the city last year; 95 died—just short of the city’s record. There were more than 2,000 robberies. According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, carjackings in the city rose 537% from November 2019 to November 2020, and then rose another 40% in the 10 months after that.

What happened? Minnesota once enjoyed a high degree of social cohesion rooted in the traditions of previous waves of immigrants. But as the region has grown and become more diverse, the Twin Cities in particular developed most of the problems that bedevil much of the rest of urban America (crime, unemployment, drugs and so on). The reasons for this are complicated and widely debated. In any case, Minnesota now ranks among the worst states in the country when it comes to racial inequality.

In 1973, there were two strong political parties in Minnesota, both centrist and in touch with the state’s voters. A profound change occurred in the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party, especially among the wealthy and young. They contrived to seize political power by leveraging certain idealistic or merely sentimental impulses in the public mind. It was the prospering woke who elected the progressive Minneapolis City Council that supports defunding the police, and it was those white elites who, more than her fellow Somali-Americans, elected Ilhan Omar to the House. A mostly white “meritocracy,” caring more about, say, transgender rights than about job creation, took command in Minneapolis and elsewhere in the country. Both parties have become much more ideological, controlled by angry amateurs—the woke and the antiwoke.

The woke had this unhappy fact to support them: The Minneapolis Police Department harbored an unusual number of racists and bullies. There were fatal and well-publicized encounters between police and black men that stirred rage and protest demonstrations.

The great crisis came amid the pandemic. George Floyd died in a gutter outside Cup Foods under Derek Chauvin’s knee. There was endless video of that and all that followed. (The smartphone verifies the Heisenberg principle of observation, which states, roughly, that the observing of an event alters the event itself.)

The summer of 2020 followed. Black Lives Matter emerged. The progressive mayor of Minneapolis abandoned a police precinct and allowed the mob to loot and burn it. George Floyd was declared a saint. Mr. Chauvin, damned as the devil who murdered the saint, was cast into prison. Minneapolis cops left the force in droves and the ones who remained stood down, reluctant to risk any new incident.

A similar pattern imposed itself elsewhere, until prosecutors in Democrat-ruled cities across the country (Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, New York) began to refuse to prosecute minority criminals—almost no matter their crime. See no evil, prosecute no evil. An age of magical thinking persuades itself to embrace many inversions of the truth—one of them being the idea that the criminal is the victim.

The left, now dominant, will pay the price. Fantasies of retaliation will play vividly in voters’ minds when they go to vote in November—just how vividly, the Democratic Party and President Biden will discover.

The difference between my 1973 story and the news reports of 2022 amounts to the difference, as it were, between Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. Tom gives you the boyish, innocent, sun-shot rendering of Hannibal, Mo., in the middle of the 19th century. Huck’s story is the version of America that includes poverty, murder, alcoholism, child abuse, race prejudice, blood feud and imbecility. Minneapolis today looks a little more like the Huckleberry Finn version, although without Huck’s humor or his rascal charm.

Mr. Morrow is a senior fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center. His latest book is “God and Mammon: Chronicles of American Money.”

KENNEDY63

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
We are tired of the COVID trampoline

We are tired of being ordered what to do and to say how high when we are told to jump, aren’t we? The other day, I stopped at the door of a building where I had an appointment and dutifully put on a mask.

“Is that a cloth mask?” the woman behind the plastic barrier at the counter asked me.

“Yes.” “We don’t accept those.” “OK.” She handed me a paper mask. I promptly snapped loose one of the elastic strings and she gave me another one.

After two years of being told that wearing any mask is better than wearing no mask at all, we learn that cloth masks, at least, have been discredited.

After mandating a test result or proof of vaccine to enter a restaurant, the mayors of Minneapolis and St. Paul lifted those restrictions Thursday. At noon Wednesday, you had to display papers to dine out. At noon Thursday, you did not, although St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter has not lifted the mask mandate. It feels like we have been bouncing on a trampoline.

Historians will have the obligation to sort out what has happened to us, to the country, over the last two years. We are not the same. The country’s biggest cities are not flourishing. Urban America is suffering the dystopian bleakness of crime and lawlessness, homelessness and economic uncertainty.

The decline of San Francisco, the Twin Cities, New York, Chicago, etc., has been sharply brought into focus during exactly the two years of COVID-19. As recently as April 2019, the NCAA Final Four was held in Minneapolis. The joints were full. Imagine that happening today. You can’t. To go downtown today risks getting mugged for your car.

The argument can certainly be made that the decline of our once-great cities did not begin with a pandemic. The George Floyd spring and summer of 2020 also had a profound impact on our downfall. But COVID beat George Floyd to the national headlines by five months and COVID helped uncover whatever was already simmering.

COVID has revealed our greatest weakness. We had it so good for so long that we didn’t pay attention to, particularly, city council and mayoral races across the county. City councils from New York to Seattle are packed with incompetent people who, for the most part, have never worked in the private sector, never met a payroll or faced any hardship tougher than deciding where to put a new bike lane.

They are an activist class bloated with meaningless activist gibberish straight from their failed academies. They are full of themselves. They believe they are charged with bringing about equity and fairness, which they determine whimsically. The hell with potholes and fully funded police departments, there are new examples of racism we need to find around each corner. They are not serious people dedicated to serving the general public.

And thus, when a pandemic struck, a serious and urgent problem, these were the people in charge. Because of their undisciplined nature, their rules and regulations and mandates and lockdowns have been all over the map.

It is no wonder we are tired of bouncing on this trampoline. I write this as a vaccinated and boosted citizen of the United States. It was really all I could do. The rest of it seems like a rather big load of horse hockey.

Joe Soucheray can be reached at [email protected]. Soucheray’s “Garage Logic” podcast can be heard at garagelogic.com.

recker999

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
The only remaining sane writer at either metro newspaper.

Who is the greater threat to our safety?

A couple of days before Christmas, Hennepin County District Judge Regina Chu ordered Kimberly Potter back to jail, where she sat Christmas and still remains until her sentencing, presumably next month.

Potter, 49, a former Brooklyn Center police officer, had just been found guilty of manslaughter in the accidental shooting death of Daunte Wright. As Wright struggled to break free of another officer, Potter mistook her gun for her Taser.

Potter has been and continues to be thoroughly remorseful, devastated and apologetic. She presented no threat to the public and was not a candidate to flee. And yet, Chu sent her back to jail to await sentencing.

Chu said, “I cannot treat this case any differently than any other.”

If that’s Chu’s standard and not a convenient show of sternness, then she should have released Potter to her family.

On Jan. 3, Chu released a criminal from jail, ostensibly to attend a family funeral. She let him out at 9:30 a.m. and he was to be back at 12:30 p.m. Shevirio Kavirion Childs-Young has not come back. He was charged in December with assaulting a police officer and illegal possession of a gun. According to court records, Childs-Young’s juvenile record is extensive and includes a kidnapping charge.

Chu trusted a repeat offender who, hopefully, is in Belize by now and not still in Minneapolis putting the public at risk. But we’re going to make an example out of a 26-year career police officer who never had one complaint filed against her in all that time.

On the evening of Thursday, Jan. 6, a woman sought safe harbor at Fire Station No. 8 in Minneapolis. A man had been following her. She was terrified. The man followed her to the station and rammed his truck through the doors. He got out of the truck and tried to get to the woman. At least six firefighters armed with axes and iron wrestled the man to the ground and held him in until police arrived and arrested him.

Shawn Coates was charged with two counts of attempted fourth-degree assault, one count of threats of violence and one count of third degree damage to property.

On the following Monday, Jan. 10, none other than Regina Chu released Coates from jail with no bail required. See, Judge Chu, you did treat Potter differently than you treat others; you didn’t let her out.

Now that Coates is out, what about the woman he was following? Is she afraid for her life?

But we are going to make an example of Kim Potter. We are going to go for the maximum sentence, because, well, the implication has always been there, but Potter’s case is not remotely analogous to Derek Chauvin’s.

Not much is known about Chu. She is apparently very private. Chu was a 2002 appointee of then-Gov. Jesse Ventura’s and has won reelection three times essentially unopposed. Trying to reach her has been futile. But if she released two dangerous criminals within a week of each other, then how many other bad guys has she prematurely put back on the street over the past 20 years?

We’ve been getting our wakeup calls. We need to be alert to carjackers and muggers and tough guys who knock down elderly women and steal their purses outside the grocery store in broad daylight. We now have another wakeup. We have to do a better job of investigating just who it is we are voting for in a judge’s race.

Put another way: who is a greater threat to public safety, Regina Chu or Kim Potter? Not even close.

I do not think the star tribune has had a sane reporter in 30 years. Just look at Jim Souhan who pretends to be a sports reporter but really is nothing more than a far left winger pushing BLM and telling us how awful white people are. I guess he means himself as well.

As far as this judge is concerned I could have told you she would never let Potter out just like I knew Potter has zero chance of getting off in a Hennepin County Court. They are all scared of the mob including the judge imo. I am pretty sure the three current cops of trial likely have no chance either in a twin cities court. The anti cop mob wants scalps and they are not afraid to let you know you better give them the scalps or else.

recker999

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I can also tell leftist Ellison will bring charges against the current cop from the shooting a few weeks ago. He is another scalp they think they can get and Ellison is more than happy go give them one.

Ronno

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I hate to point out the obvious, but continuing to subscribe to the Red StarTribune only fuels this BS further. Take a stand and cancel your subscription. I can tell you from experience your frustration level will go down quite a bit. I think it was Souhan's column indicating Kevin Warren would be a great NFL owner and should be given that opportunity that finally pushed me over the edge. Geez Jim, the only think Kevin is missing in order to be an NFL owner is about $4 Billion dollars..............

recker999

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I hate to point out the obvious, but continuing to subscribe to the Red StarTribune only fuels this BS further. Take a stand and cancel your subscription. I can tell you from experience your frustration level will go down quite a bit. I think it was Souhan's column indicating Kevin Warren would be a great NFL owner and should be given that opportunity that finally pushed me over the edge. Geez Jim, the only think Kevin is missing in order to be an NFL owner is about $4 Billion dollars..............
Trust me I do not subscibe to that communist paper. They have it at my work in the lunch room so I have seen his articles when looking at the sports scores or the outdoors section. I would not give that paper one red cent. I do not even attempt to look at the front page or the metro sections. Souhan is a total idiot he should probably just go work for BLM and give up the sports.