Soup Cook-off, maybe chili?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by seiowa, Nov 5, 2019.

1. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

So this weekend I am doing what they have now opened up to be a "fall soup cook off". Years before it has been chili only but for whatever reason they have said you can do any soup.

Keep in mind it should be a thick hearty deal with fall/winter vibes.\

This is the first year it has not been explicitly chili although I suspect it will still be predominantly chili. I am thinking of the following (if I do not do chili):

Corn chowder with pork

Clam chowder

chili made with whatever animals are in my fridge/freezer and not telling people

chicken and dumplings (chicken noodle soup is a little too basic b1tch for me)

corn chowder with ham

some sort of chicken tortilla but more cream based and more body

That's what I got. Anyone got any non-chili ideas that would really "wow" at a deal like this? Should I just do chili? Not looking for specific recipes obviously just some basic ideas.

2. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Chili's not soup. Just sayin'. :no

I'll second the gumbo though.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Chili
    Google DK Chili

I have won 3 events with that recipe.

GUNNERX2 likes this.
  5. seiowa

this will sound awful but I’m not sure I even know what a proper gumbo is. I think I could pick a jambalaya out of a lineup but gumbo I’m clueless.

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

:eek::eek::eek:

In that case forget the gumbo. (although if you could make a decent one you'll probably win!)
    I don't have time at the moment but I'm sure someone will pipe up with some basic guidelines.

7. seiowa

Looked it up in Wikipedia and unless I’m missing something I don’t feel like it can be that difficult

8. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

Its all in the roux.

stevena198301, goosenazi and Vahunter like this.
  9. BFG

BFG Senior Refuge Member

My wife makes a white chicken chili (it's probably a soup) that is really, really good. As best I can remember, and the amounts listed here make enough chili for about 8 people to have a good sized bowl and a half. You will need a large crock pot, this is a big recipe. We usually make the chicken one day and the remainder the next.

6 chicken quarters (skin on) in crock pot w/ 1 cup water on low for 12 hours. Season as you wish, but she uses a poultry seasoning from Famous Dave's. Leave drippings/water in crock pot. Yes, I am fully aware there is chicken grease on top of the water. Get over it. Remove and discard skin from chicken, de-bone, shred, and set aside.

To the crock pot we now add:

Two cans of spicy whole kernel corn. Drain it. No, I can't remember the official name. It's Green Giant. And it's spicy. You know, like caliente corn, but that's not what it is called. Oh yeah, maybe it's Fiesta Corn. See...I did remember. Thanks guys.
    One can of black beans (rinsed) Ohioans put beans in chili. Deal with it.
    One can of kidney beans (rinsed) See above. Don't like 'em, don't add em. You want more beans? Add another can Pedro.
    2 Tbs chili powder
    2 Tbs garlic powder

In a skillet....melt some butter, get 'er nice and hot and add.....

One whole onion, chopped
    One green pepper, chopped
    One red pepper, chopped
    One yellow pepper, chopped
    One orange pepper, chopped
    We now have enough peppers. Saute' all that and then add to crock pot with the beans. You don't have to do this part, but I like to cook this stuff down a bit before I add, and the saute' flavor adds nicely to the entire mix.

Next we add....

Shredded chicken
    8oz chicken broth
    (use low sodium if desired) Yes, I know there is already chicken broth in the pot. Shut up and add it. If you didn't get a lot of broth from your quarters cook down, add more if needed. Nobody likes chili that sticks to the wall.
    One 16oz can of diced tomatoes, including the juice.
    8oz cream cheese Don't be a cheapo and get the generic. Quality cheese equals quality chili....get Philly and get on with it. Cut into 1" cubes to make it melt down easier.

You can add salt and pepper to taste, but my wife doesn't like either one....so that only happens when yours truly makes it.

Let all that get happy in the crock pot for 4 hours on low. Hell, you can let it go overnight if you want. About 2 hours in your house is gonna start smelling really, really good. You can eat it whenever you want after about 2 hours. You'll know it's ready when the cream cheese chunks no longer exist.

A couple observations from someone who has eaten this about 100 times in the last 20 years of marriage:

1. If it seems too thick, add more stock.
    2. If it seems too thin, add more cream cheese
    3. If it seems too mild, then add whatever you need to heat things up Satan
    4. Leftover this stuff is even more amazing, as it seems to gain heat every day.

Hope you enjoy it.

10. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

A hearty Veggie/beef soup?