Sp10 vs Browning Gold 10

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Bigshootss, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Bigshootss

Bigshootss Senior Refuge Member

A little review on my 10ga performance this season. Shot the SP-10 for every 10 out of eleven hunts. Shot 8-10 boxes of shells... sounds like a lot but I dust most of the cripples since I can usually tip them over at up to 65-70 yards if the head is up (thank you Terror. .720). No malfunctions whatsoever with it till last hunt and after getting set up and dog shook water in action at 14 degrees F. Froze up so bad I heated receiver with my zippo to get action open to unload. Shot the Browning after that.

Browning Gold was used by a couple of buddies and me in last hunt. 5-6 boxes of shells and no malfunctions.

Cleaned them both yesterday in a full strip down except stock removal. The SP-10 bolt carrier group is a bitch to get in and out. The nod goes the Browning for easier cleaning and ease of bolt buffer replacement. Remington Hypersonics are a little hard on the buffer... they have a little snap.

All in all two great guns. I do shoot the SP-10 a little better for some reason.

On the longer cripple shots on windy days you can see how far the wind drifts the pattern, it was a little surprising.

2. cam

cam Elite Refuge Member

sp 10 runs a little slow when cold I don't own a gold but seen several jam up over the years

3. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

Great review , boy that a lot of shootin .

I’ve always thought about shooting those hypersonics through my SP-10 because they are listed at 1500 FPS . Fastest I know of for factory 10 gauge . But I’ve heard some bad things about the primers being inconstant and am nervous about that seeing they discontinued my gun and spare parts are a premium .

It’s a shame companies do not offer more options for us 10 gauge folks .

Out of curiosity what size shot are you dusting cripples on the water @70 yards ? I shoot the same setup and 70 is a heck of poke for a crippled duck on the water .

Biggest thing I’ve learned with the SP-10 came probably 12 years ago and I think it was advice from our very own 10GAUGENUT . And that’s keep the piston clean because it can really slow down after 75-100 rounds and it DOES !

And lastly , DO NOT oil the piston run it bone dry . Since that day I cannot recall a malfunction and I’ve ran approximately 10-12 cases through my SP-10s since that day .

4. Long Shot

Long Shot Senior Refuge Member

A friend of mine & myself owned two Mag 10’s & an SP10. Like has been said keeping the piston clean was necessary for the guns to function. I became pretty handy at stripping them down to clean everything, we shot them a lot. On my Mag 10 the machining was not finished very well & it would cut your finger like a razor if you were not careful.

5. Bigshootss

The best cripple load was some boxes of old Winchester 1 3/4 oz of BB loads I bought at a pawn shop for 10 bucks a box. I shoot mostly BB or T for cripples. I shot some Hypersonics but worry about the wear on the old SP10. I have 2 spare buffers, an extractor, an ejector, firing pin and spring, mag follower, and the carrier assembly. Average trip was a box of shells plus a couple. Sometimes 2-3 shells on a cripple. Sounds like a lot, but it was over 11 hunts. Last couple hunts were way more shells on cripples, not sure if it was tough northerners birds or poor shooting. I actually shot pretty well but had to back up my hunting partners on cleanup of hit/feathered birds a lot.

6. Bigshootss

I was also testing my gun to see how long I could go without a deep cleaning. Always wiped off for rust every day after a hunt. I was surprise it never malfunctioned after all the shells.

7. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

If you’re a shorter armed feller, then the SP10 will prolly fit you better. I’ve owned both and the Gold 10 is a much better made gun, cycles smoother and much faster. The old mag 10’s were made alot better than the late SP10’s.

goosenazi and Mrs.10GAGENUT like this.
  8. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

What he said ^^^.
    I've told this story already but what's a few more times.
    Years ago when the original Ithaca Gun company was still in business, I called to ask about my then new to me MAG-10 I had bought. I held on the phone for a minute and one of the gunsmiths picks up, nice guy and he had a wealth of information on the MAG-10, then he told me he was one of the gunsmiths on Jim Tollinger's original design team when they made the MAG-10, so naturally I asked every question I could. Jim Tollinger was the guy who originally designed the Mag-10 for Ithaca (if you can find the original patent his name is right on it).
    Of all the things we talked about what THEIRCOMMITTED, stated was something he was adamant about, and it does carry over to the SP-10. He said clean the piston area as best (cleaner like Hoppes is fine) you can and get all the crud off of it, then DO NOT USE any oil or lubricant of any kind on or near the gas piston, just put it back together cleaned. He had told me that was the number one reason for factory returns on the guns, the complaint was always the same my gun turned into a single shot after a box or two was shot through it.
    I've gone with my old Mag 10 and my SP-10 shooting well over 100 rounds through the guns with no slow downs or stoppages at all.
    Good enough for me !!

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  9. Bigshootss

I wish Beretta would make a gas operated 10 gauge based on the Extrema.

10. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I wish a lot more companies would make shotguns in 10 gauge than the few we have now, I really figured the 3 1/2" 12 gauge would have run it's course by now and more were making 10 gauges again, not the case unfortunately.

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.