Sp10 vs Browning Gold 10

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Bigshootss, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I never advocate 70 yard shots and I call 60 tough for most, the 3 1/2 " 12 gauge has it's place IMO if it's properly used in the field, you can't turn a pick up into a Semi and expect it to do the job!!

2. GooseGunners

GooseGunners New Member

I respect that - I wouldn't advocate for everyone with a 10 gauge to take 70-80 yard shots either. You have to be extremely comfortable with your gun, choke, loads, and skill set before you can be accustomed to it. If you do get that level of comfort, what a difference it can make!

3. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

80 yards, not a problem. 100 yards, don’t forget to lead. 110 yards, use the good ammo. 120 yards, send the dog before you shoot so you don’t have to use hand signals. 130 yards, don’t forget to fill in the crater the goose makes in the muddy, field. If the field is frozen, don’t send the dog as the goose is mush.

The 10ga gold/lite and SP-10 are ok for shooting over the edge of the decoys but when the geese are way outside the decoys get a NEF 10ga with the 32” fixed full choke.

15E50A01-7E6F-44C1-83F1-BF613B319466.jpeg

Yes the 10ga kills better.

EEC1D9AB-5A47-448C-AEB4-09D724B92A31.jpeg

4. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

I always enjoy seeing you post that gun . It reminds me of my H&R Ultra Slugger 12 with the big bull barrel . Wouldn’t mind finding an SB2 Mag for myself .

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  5. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I don't think anybody appreciated them as much as they should have, my problem was I was always on the hunt for a Marlin Goose gun. I can say they have gotten expensive if you can even find one from time to time anymore.

6. sleeping_dogs

sleeping_dogs Elite Refuge Member

How or why does a Marlin or NEF single shot goose gun perform any different than a current production 10ga?

7. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

Longer barrels. You gain about 4 fps on your velocity and 3" on lethal distance.:dv

8. Long Shot

Long Shot Senior Refuge Member

You had better hold on to your hat when you shoot it.

9. sleeping_dogs

sleeping_dogs Elite Refuge Member

That doesn’t sound like enough to make much of a difference.

10. kjl845

kjl845 Refuge Member

I am a big fan of the 10 gauge but with all this talk about 70 and 80 yard shots does anybody know how to call geese into a decoy spread? High overhead is one thing but 70 yard cross shots or outside the decoys is tough and very few people can consistently kill birds at that range.