Spacers

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by TheCanMan, Sep 14, 2021 at 8:39 PM.

1. TheCanMan

TheCanMan Senior Refuge Member

Cork, Felt, Rice, Flaxseed, Plastic Beads … curious to hear other people use, what they prefer and why. I just got 2 bags of the RSI 1/8” black felt spacers, and they look like a lot of compressed threads, and have the BPI white felt spacers which look cleaner around the edges and cleaner on top, but not sure if that matters at all. They both look to be true 1/8”

75AC0230-593E-4E01-91BB-6191889001F5.jpeg

2. megasupermagnum

megasupermagnum Senior Refuge Member

I like felt the best because they are the most economical, and have a ton more uses beyond simple spacers. Felt also has a lot of use in muzzleloaders. They compress, making loading super easy compared to a hard card. They don't seem to blow patterns like fiber wads do. Cork does just as well, but costs way too much. I buy the scraps from Durofelt, and cut them. They are way cheaper that way.

P.S. I've used both the black wispy, and the firm white felt wads, as spacers, they serve the same function. I buy "hard, for wad use" real wool felt, which works better in applications beyond shotgun spacers.

TheCanMan likes this.
  3. C M Wings

C M Wings Refuge Member

Plastic beads are the cheapest. Buy a bag for a few bucks at Michael’s and good for thousands of reloads. I think felts work the best but you need to use the right size and that really varies by wad type. BP wads are flat bottom and you can use a 20 felt in a 12. TPS wad are tapered and 28s work best. Cork you must have the right size. I like a tight loaded shell and felt helps keep things tighter than beads. Flax works well too but I find a simple OSC card works better in most applications. So I use felts primarily with an OSC as needed - usually just with 1s or bigger as they just don’t level nicely in the wad.

4. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

Foam from a meat tray, i have punch to do it in the evening watching TV.

5. Northhunter

Northhunter Senior Refuge Member

I bought a roll of cork from Lowes. Punch them out myself. I also saved plastic beads from dog toys the beagle destroyed, but I prefer not to use them.

Pro Tip; If your cork spacers are a little loose in the wad, treat them with hair spray.

6. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Elite Refuge Member

A solo cup of mixed wax beads and buffer is easy to weigh/measure and pour.

You can add to the top or bottom of a shot column to increase or decrease pressure, and usually only improves a pattern.

7. grnhd

grnhd Elite Refuge Member

I use foam too. Meat trays or anything foam that is thin. I've been using some white bead foam sheets that a toaster was boxed in. I cut it into strips with scissors and then into squares. It doesn't have to be round. I then cram in down into the wad with a 3/8 nutdriver.

Dave in AZ and Ravenanme like this.
  8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Along with cork ,meat tray's and beads , tyvek's from chip bags and shipping envelops works good !

9. C M Wings

C M Wings Refuge Member

Only issue with meat trays is that they squish so you need a lot more in there than you think or the load will get loose. Fiber is far more resilient. But yep use those too and as said no need to be round.

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Do you guys consider the environmental impact of natural materials vs foam or plastic?