Speaking of fishing lures - has anyone ever bought one of those "kits" to MAKE your own lures?

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by ButchA, Apr 28, 2020.

1. ButchA

ButchA Elite Refuge Member

You may get into fly fishing. You may get into saltwater fishing. You may get into freshwater fishing, etc... Whatever... You are out there with 48% of the population who loves fishing!

Anyway... With all of that said, has anyone ever gotten the crazy notion to order one of those "kits" off the internet where you can make your own fishing lures? Well... I did. I ordered a kit off Amazon. Simple spinner kit, everything included.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZYD6KMJ

These are pretty cool, when you really look at them! The treble hook goes on first (on the bent wire section), then one of the weighted body materials goes on (press downwards on the remaining wire section, and slide the body over it. It will then lock into place due to tension. Then you figure out what type of beads and then the clevis and spinner blade combo. So on and so on and so on... The only serious beotch is when you have to use needle nose pliers or whatever type of "helping hands" alligator clips or roach clips or whatever stuff you have around, to help hold everything secure, because you have to create a loop, and wind the excess wire around and around and around, enclosing it into a perfect loop. That end goes onto your fishing line or swivel.

See? Even I can make a fishing lure! It's a lot of fun!

[​IMG]

nwood and Out of focus like this.
  2. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Making your own lures is to your likeing go too it.
    I reload, make my own bullets, and tried to make shot.
    It all fun.

3. klarkdent

klarkdent New Member

I have not bought such lures but I have bought Crankbait Swimbait Aorace 2.6cm Mini Fishing Lures for crappie. You can see them here as well as other brands https://easylures.com/best-crappie-lures/. They are good enough and do not cost too much.

4. ButchA

ButchA Elite Refuge Member

Update... This is awesome! I ordered a catalog from the longtime, legendary, fishing lure company called Jann's Netcraft. I remember them from the 70's when I was a teenager!

They have *everything* in here!! :)

111578775_10158670310722072_7901995309352876216_o.jpg

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I've poured a few worms, tied some jigs, made some spinnerbaits(poured the lead, bent the wire, etc--totally from scratch). It's pretty cool to catch fish on stuff you've made!

ButchA likes this.
  6. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Back in the day, some of you will remember the old Herters Catalog, it was $5, refundable on your first order, it was the size of a big city phone book. They had a hundred pages parts to make lures; beads, hooks, clevis', 20 different kinds of blades, wooden bodies, you name it! Used to look forward to getting that catalog every year. Funny, if they would of survived into the cyber age of websites/ordering before they downsized, they might of been giving Bass/Pro/Cabelas a run for their money today.