Spec spread

Twobra

Reaction score
Always looking to improve, thought I'd throw out a question for the Spec pros. Hunting rice with a smallish spec spread, 20 floaters and a dozen silos on the check. The spread is a reverse J hook starting 15ish yards off the blind and extending about 40-50 yards diagonal. The specs are floating over looking but not wanting to commit to the spread it seems. They show interest and will circle once then bug out and not want to finish. There are no decoys around the blind, I'm thinking they are looking at the sound of the call but aren't seeing decoys directly from where the sound is coming from. That's my hypothesis anyways. Any thoughts on changing up the spec spread or giving the birds a different look? Thanks in advance for any input.

freefall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
How hidden are you? Specs have the best eyes of any waterfowl IMO. If anything is out of place they'll find it. Especially on calm days. That's where I'd start.

I've not tried silos without being mixed in with full bodies but as long as your decoys are all up to par that shouldn't be an issue.

If you think it's placement then adjust. If your able to grab a 6r of full bodies and try those on long stakes in front of the blind.

Twobra

Reaction score
How hidden are you? Specs have the best eyes of any waterfowl IMO. If anything is out of place they'll find it. Especially on calm days. That's where I'd start.

I've not tried silos without being mixed in with full bodies but as long as your decoys are all up to par that shouldn't be an issue.

If you think it's placement then adjust. If your able to grab a 6r of full bodies and try those on long stakes in front of the blind.

The blind is fully covered and I'm completely hidden with cover over the top. I'll have to try moving decoys in front of me and see if that helps. The only hesitation is messing up the ducks because they finish over the blind so I was trying not to mess up the ducks too much. But it's worth a try.

bojingles

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ditch the silos ditch the j hook. Just set em out natural and see what happens. You can go big with crap like sand bags and socks but it doesn’t work on a small spread. Just use your decoys and see what happens.

If you have stubble in your rice at least ten inches above the water, go buy yourself 500 whit sandbags and get to work.

JRS

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Space the decoys out- in clumps of 3-5, a bit farther from the blind than you think you should…prolly call more/better. Gotta read em. If you can’t, keep in the blind till you can.

Big Daddy Gaddy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Sound away from the deeks is no good…

I disagree.

Specks are curious, they'll look for the call. If you sound right they don't care where it comes from...just don't call at them. Rice tanks are the worst for calling specks. You want an honest tip? Hang a piece of burlap over the side of the tank and put one on the floor..call down into the burlap. The sound won't be bouncing off the side of the tank so unnatural. Jacket works too...even straw on the floor of there's enough of it. Call at the floor, not at the birds. I learned from a guy who never raises his call and kills more specks than anyone I've met before or since. Call at the ground wherever you are hunting.

Twobra

Reaction score
I disagree.

Specks are curious, they'll look for the call. If you sound right they don't care where it comes from...just don't call at them. Rice tanks are the worst for calling specks. You want an honest tip? Hang a piece of burlap over the side of the tank and put one on the floor..call down into the burlap. The sound won't be bouncing off the side of the tank so unnatural. Jacket works too...even straw on the floor of there's enough of it. Call at the floor, not at the birds. I learned from a guy who never raises his call and kills more specks than anyone I've met before or since. Call at the ground wherever you are hunting.
Fantastic advice. I really appreciate it. I have a ton of burlap coffee bags I'll bring out and hang in the blind and see how they respond on Saturday and point my call into the tank and into the burlap.

Latest posts