Specks in AB

Flyfisher

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I am hearing specks may go up to 8? Is this correct? Thanks.

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I heard that rumour too but there was no mention of it in the regulatory report published in December that outlines proposed changes for the next two years - so I'm saying probably not

https://www.canada.ca/en/environmen...ries/proposals-amend-document-2017.html#toc14

There is some thought that the speck numbers are high enough to support an 8 bird limit,,, but as Stubble Bum has pointed out there is no mention of bumping up the speck limit in the Environment Canada proposed changes, so I also would be surprised see that happen this year.

Native NV Ducker

Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others
Reaction score
Where we go, all we get are specks (and snows) Last two trips, nary a Canada was killed. So, I would like it also. But, I am smart enough to understand it is just the area I hunt, not the fact that there are nothing but specks in Canada.

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I shot my first Alberta speck around 1980 not too far from the Sask border. Back then the limit was 2 per day, and the gray goose season was closed for 10 days in mid Sept to protect the specks during migration,,, It was rare back then to see a speck in October in Alberta or a speck more than an hour away from the Sask border at any time in the fall.

Starting in the 90's speck numbers really started to take off and for the last couple decades, the birds are staging in numbers throughout most of parkland Alberta, the Peace country and the northern edge of the prairies. We now find and kill specks well into late October and even into early November in an open fall in the central parklands. This is well outside of the inventoried fall count zones of Eastern Alberta and western Sask,,, in other words,,, these are birds that don't get counted in the annual fall counts!!!!

SCTC

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The Canada speck limit seems highly conservative in light of WA limits. WA state changed the rules last year and now allow 10 specks a day during the general season (Oct - Jan) and we're lucky if we even see one after September in Eastern WA. I could see allowing 10 snows a day but nope, only 4. Oh well, much better to have a separate light goose limit finally than just 4 geese a day but still scratching my head.

Latest posts