Specks in AB

10ga.crazy

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Every year since I moved here numbers have steadily increased to the point the last two seasons we can pretty much pass on Canada's if we wish and shoot limits(5) of Specks if we have both coming in. It wasn't that way 10 years ago. Now we have days when they come in by the thousands instead of dozens. I don't know if it's a population increase or a migration flight change but whichever it's welcome as is an increase to having all 8 of a dark goose limit as Specks. I'd rather shoot nothing but Specks when it comes to eating geese. They are the winners hands down in the table fare department coming in second only to Cranes. They are also a real cool bird to hunt. Love seeing them committed, those bright orange mallard coloured feet extended with those black barred bellies exposed.

Last edited:

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Looks like the daily speck limit in SK and AB is going to 8 starting this season and possession to 24

Thanks for the update and the link. This has been something in the works now for several years now. It will not be official until the Feds post the actual hunting regulations for this year (probably in July judging by their past history in releasing the final regs). Past history also has shown that proposed regulatory changes do not always make into the final approved hunting regulation stage, so I am holding my breath for now.

I am glad they are putting both the Sask and Alberta limits up to 8 at the same time. Leaving one province at 5 while moving to the other to 8 could significantly shift non res free lancer's hunting pressure to the province with the higher limit.

mpkowal

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Where we go, all we get are specks (and snows) Last two trips, nary a Canada was killed. So, I would like it also. But, I am smart enough to understand it is just the area I hunt, not the fact that there are nothing but specks in Canada.
You able to go this year Bill ?

Native NV Ducker

Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others
Reaction score
No. Not getting the jab to hunt geese. Now, I doubt that I will ever go again. Not with one eye.