Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Specks, specks and only specks.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Backwards bleed, Mar 20, 2020.

1. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

Solo hunt the last day of the Oregon season. 20200310_093153 (2).jpg

nobands, 2WIDGN and Backwards bleed like this.
  2. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

You mentioned the Tule Geese. Are you in the Pacific Flyway?

3. Backwards bleed

Backwards bleed Senior Refuge Member

That's funny Rick. The Legs and the wing bone out to the first joint are the 2 parts most coveted in my house. Nothing like chewing on a good leg that has been grilled medium rare over coals of smoldering pecan wood!

4. Backwards bleed

That's funny Rick. The Legs and the wing bone out to the first joint are the 2 parts most coveted in my house. Nothing like chewing on a good leg that has been grilled medium rare over coals of smoldering pecan wood!

5. Backwards bleed

I am not in Pacific flyway, but I am interested in everything that has to do with the Tule geese anyway. I cant get enough info to satisfy me about all waterfowl, specks are my favorite! That's kind of why I wanted to start this thread. I know there are other as crazy as I am about specks!

waterswatter likes this.
  6. Backwards bleed

IMO... I am technically in the central flyway but also kind of on the edge of the Mississippi flyway. The Eastern edge of Nebraska is kind of an intermediate zone between the two. Lol

7. Doofighter

Doofighter Senior Refuge Member

I'm a newb and I'd not seen a speck in my life in 2018 when a good friend took me to Saskatchewan. We shot a couple dozen or so. I was especially enamored with these as we pass shot them. I will not forget that day. I made sure of it... 20181023_085329.jpg 20200320_185520.jpg

8. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

My son and I have shot a few Tule geese over the years. Will look up the digital pictures. Our club is in the special closure out here in CA, so after 12/21 each year we can't shoot specks and unlike most of CA our daily limit inside the closure is 3. They respond well to the call but will pick you out and slide away when you are busted. Have to defrost a couple and barbeque them.

Backwards bleed likes this.
  9. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

138E2FB2-3569-4945-B1CE-49131F81A727.jpeg Radio collar came from a Tule but I smashed that bird so later I shot this bird shown and transferred the collar. I have been lucky enough to see around 10 banded specks get shot. The craziest story is a pair of specks came into the hole, my buddies shot one each. Both specks were banded!!!! From 2 different places!!!!

10. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Now that I think of it. Another buddy found a banded dead speck and it was 10 years old. Guide service was shooting the day before across the road and they sailed multiple specks on the property.

Backwards bleed likes this.