Spinning rod / reel recommendations

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by GeorgiaDawg, Mar 29, 2021.

1. GeorgiaDawg

GeorgiaDawg Senior Refuge Member

Anyone have any suggestions for a spinning rod / reel combo that will cast light (1/16th and lighter) jigs more than 30 yards? Something in the 6-7 foot (rod length) range? 2 - 6 pound test? I have a bunch of ultra light rigs but tossing a size 0 panther martin or a 1/16 oz grub is a chore on most of them. I had an old zebco undercast once years ago and that thing would throw a 1/16 oz crappie jig a mile it seemed. I am not overly concerned with price but would prefer being under a couple of hundred bucks per rig.

2. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

IMO your line choice makes more of a difference in casting distance than your rod and reel when you're talking spinning rods. That and guide material. I bought some sunline Xplasma at the recommendation of a friend for this year. I'd try something like that line for casting distance.

3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Casting light weight jigs with light line is a job for Long poles so all I can say is , B&N has a 9 ft'er that will satisfy your wishes !

4. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

30 yards is a long way to be casting that light of a lure. Check out Phenix rods...they've got a pretty extensive line of trout/panfish rods. Reel...whatever you like, just fill the spool full. And if it were me, i'd use 2 or 4lb original Fireline. When that stuff gets used/loosened up, it casts light lures very well.

5. SEKhunter

SEKhunter Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Not spinning but a 8ft 6in 4 wt fly rod would suit your needs perfectly

6. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

U need.
    2or 4 lb test
    7 ft light med fast action rod with a guide ever 1 foot.

7. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

I would go to a longer rod for that application. I built my buddy a 9' light power fast action rod with fuji KR guides on a thrasher blank and it is an absolute cannon with light lures. For casting distance nothing will outperform a rapid choke type guide system with light braided line. Look for a rod with either fuji KR guides or Pac bay minima match guides. Id go at least 7'6" if not 8 or 9ft. I you are truly trying to throw 1/16 oz a fast action UL or a moderate fast possibly even a moderate L will be required to load up fully to get that distance.

8. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

Shakespeare ugly stick long and as light as they make with four pound test line. Simple cheap effective.

9. wingsandwater

wingsandwater Senior Refuge Member

For your perameters....I'd go with a 6'6" St. Croix premier light action. For a reel...I'm partial to a Shimano stradic, probably a 1000 but a 2500 would work. 8 lb suffix 832 braid. 30 yards is a stretch but that's my setup and it casts light stuff very very well.

10. GeorgiaDawg

GeorgiaDawg Senior Refuge Member

Something along the lines of this is what I had in mind....but I bought a pair of BPS branded 7 foot light action spinning rods and Pflueger President XT25s, loaded them with plain old 4 lb Stren Mono and tied on a size 1 panther martin and it is plenty long casting for my needs. And they cost less than the St. Croix rods I was looking at. 30 yards is a long way to throw a 1/32 oz inline spinner but I was easily making 75 foot casts accurately....and the big copper head bream are a blast on the outfit! Haven't tried any crappie jigs but considering the performance with the panther martin I can't imagine it not being similar. I loaded with mono to avoid a leader knot which I find diminishes casting distance unless it is short enough to avoid the rod tip and then, in my experience, accuracy is not as great.

wingsandwater likes this.