California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Spinning Wing Decoys and Mallards

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Dan Mallia, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Another Mike

Another Mike Elite Refuge Member

At this point the mega clubs probably need them.

It won’t matter if they are banned here because they aren’t banned everywhere else. We will still have super duck skittishly hovering at 60 yards and flaring off of a finger twitch.
    That said , with all the other stuff outlawed or banned here, it’s amazing Robo has survived this long.

2. tule

tule Elite Refuge Member

I rarely use SWD anymore. If I do its in a controlled way, not just turn on and let it spin all day. I have found that other methods are deadlier on ducks than the SWD, at least in the places and the way I hunt. Most days I dont even pack that bulky POS.

Flyfisher likes this.
  3. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

It depends where you hunt...if you hunt with one every 100 yards its gonna be tough if you hunt with one and there is no others around...different story

4. toulon

toulon Senior Refuge Member

Having hunted in Canada with the spinner it is way too deadly for juvies there. I could live without them. Nothing wrong with the jerk string.

Everydaysdiff and Dan Mallia like this.
  5. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

I got news for you all. You'll be scrounging through the bottom of your blind bags and old hunting jackets looking for scrap shotgun shells to shoot because you can't buy them in this state before you'll run out of mallards from spinners.

6. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Damn skippy, let’s keep flippy!!!

7. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

Nobody “needs” them, but there’s a whole bunch of folks who think they do :l

Ratdaddy, Refugeguy and Dan Mallia like this.
  8. Hossdog

Hossdog Senior Refuge Member

Same with 3.5 inch shells and 10 gauges!

9. 7pntail

7pntail Elite Refuge Member

Back to basics. Duck call and decoys.

A spinning wing is not a decoy btw.

10. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

To Dan's real question I don't think young birds are overly susceptible to them now. At one time they were but there are so many people using whackers and wind spinners now that mallards have seen the trick. You still get a bit of a boost at times in certain scenarios by using them but I think the harvest is offset by the guys using them in which they actually are hindering them.

My point now is we shouldn't be advocating to regulate ourselves more. This just opens up another door that anti's can follow down. The science has shown harvest is not negatively impacted by it so if folks don't want to use them then don't.

I spent most of December and January not using one. I used one here and there but with all the geese around I just put mine away.