California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Spinning Wing Decoys and Mallards

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Dan Mallia, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

Maybe the ammo shortage will curb that high shooting? Or better yet, let's be morons and put a tax increase on the shells. :doh:doh:doh

enzinn and Tommyo like this.
  2. lo-base larry

lo-base larry Senior Refuge Member

You sound like us Dave. It goes like this," the bird worked really nice to that spinner" Next bird flares, " did you see that one flare?". Maybe we should pull that thing down. We go back and forth until it usually comes down. The last couple of trips it stayed in the garage. If it were banned I would not miss it at all

7pntail likes this.
  3. Hossdog

Hossdog Senior Refuge Member

You can not miss it all you want by simply not using it.

4. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

They just tied the feet up on live ducks and used them. They probably argued about fair chase though.......... :rolleyes:

5. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

They fought wars over it.

Refugeguy likes this.
  6. Huntsprig

Huntsprig Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]

"Forget the popular reality show. The real “Duck Dynasty” unfolded several thousand years ago along the shrinking remnants of ice age lakes in Northern Nevada.

There, the patient hands of hunters shaped tule rushes and feathers into decoys unmistakably made to lure canvasback ducks.

A cache of them was discovered in Lovelock Cave during an excavation first launched in 1911 by a pair of miners collecting bat guano to sell as fertilizer. Archaeologists were alerted to the existence of the cave, and they found 11 intact decoys stored inside two woven baskets.

It looked like they had been put away for the season by someone who never came back for them, said Gene Hattori, curator of anthropology for the Nevada State Museum in Carson City. “These caves were used as storage pantries.”

The ducks had been tucked away for roughly 2,000 years, making them the oldest decoys of their kind found anywhere on Earth. They show real artistry — more than seems necessary just to trick a duck, Hattori said. “They’re functional but very beautiful, too.”

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/oldest-duck-decoys-anywhere-found-in-lovelock-cave/

circlehooker, Flyfisher, JRS and 2 others like this.
  7. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My ancestor...great great great great great two thousand years ago great grand-uncle Greg was the poachingest hunter in the ice Age how'd you find his decoys?

Rebranger likes this.
  8. Ajnorcal

Ajnorcal Senior Refuge Member

seaters had a good point sans the first week they're legal I see birds lock to flippies and drop in only to slide at 30-50 yards. It makes a glass ceiling that they just won't come under.

Rebranger likes this.
  9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I'm told they were all landing on and trying to mate with everyone else's whirligigs, but that pretty well sums up my experience the first year they were generally available here. (Late 90s?) Even then, enough big ducks would push off and be difficult or impossible to call back around, front-and-center, after their first good look at it, that I'd get frustrated and go pull the spinner. Then enough big ducks would get by high without breaking for the call that I'd get frustrated and go put the spinner back out. So it would go most mornings: spinner out, spinner in, spinner here, spinner there and so on. And don'tcha know birds always seemed to pass while I was in the decoys. Often enough that when flights slowed, parties would commonly joke, "Better go move the Robo."

Even then, "The Robo bringeth, and the Robo sendeth away." Mine ended that first season under the blind bench and didn't come out of the shed again, except for our September (mostly blue-wing) teal seasons, until 2006, when I moved to a tiny pothole (kinda-sorta lovingly dubbed "the mud hole") too well separated by floating marsh from the more open marsh teal are inclined to fly. And there we sat on mornings when little but green-wings were about, listening to the binging and banging of better positioned blinds with spinners enjoying them and hoping for scraps chased our way.

By the last week of that first mud hole season, I'd had enough of that, broke out the spinner and hard-wired it to the blind for on-for-teal, off-for-big duck or speck control - and we joined the green-wing party. Today there are two spinners in the mud hole: both are hard-wired, camoed to match the water below from above and rigged to stop white-down, and each is positioned to target a different favorite teal passe. And over the seasons between, green-wings have vied with greenheads for top spot on our species log, and most often won.

(Mind you, I've also become a much, much more aggressive teal caller than I was in 2006, or I might not be so happy to give up spinners if everyone else would...)

10. ibfowl

ibfowl Senior Refuge Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Refugeguy and Huntsprig like this.