Spinning Wings

DanL

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I started using them with the styrofoam spinning kites with one side darkened with a felt pen. Ducks were practically trying to hump them in the air as they dipped around. On still days… not so much. Then came home-built robo-ducks, with a wide blade in a square stock frame. They worked great too. Then the Fatal De-duck-tion, with a Flambeau full-body and wings on an o-ring belt drive; that sucked 4 D-cells dry in a couple hours. We used one we found under water near a spoonie pond at Sac Refuge. Still works, having been modified to use a 6v gel cell. Then California banned powered spinning wings prior to a specific date in December, and we switched to Win-ducks before that. They all work on some days early in the allowed period. After about three weeks, not so much. When they start avoiding them, start leaving them at home.

Meathead2

Refuge Member
Reaction score
We won't be using them this year. Had one of my best seasons in 19-20, the last year I was in lease as I thankfully got back into this year, and we didn't use any spinners that year.

Give me big slick water and some wind.

Granted I'm not hunting every day like Rick and usually get to pick my days when the conditions are favorable.
Right on about Big Water and Wind! The solitude isn't bad either!

smashdn

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Two separate discussions coming.

First is how to use them in a way that is effective. Put them off to the sides and in a position where they aren't visible the whole time birds circle. They need to see glimpses and flashes of them and not be able to really pick them apart the whole time they work them. Next is to use a remote and let them draw them to your location from a distance and then shut them off if you can't bury them where they'll be obscured (fields, big sloughs, etc.).

Second discussion. I don't own any any longer. Sold the two I had off maybe ten years ago. I don't miss dealing with the batteries and the bulk. I will use a mallard machine some when I am hunting from a boat or it is gonna be dead calm. I sort of use it the way I would a call or spinner. Bump it when the birds are on the corners, put that ripple on the water but don't let them get a good look at it.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they outlawed them. In the hands of most hunters where I am and guessing further south, they serve to keep more ducks alive than they help kill. Up north of me, they may still work on young ducks or dry feeding ducks to the point it makes sense to use them.

I like a jerk string but the movement or the need to operate the jerk string and the call and hold the gun gets cumbersome.

In short, ban them. Makes no matter to me.

ukcpeak

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Then why ban them now?
Because they are still killing off or educating every juvenile before they get to southern Missouri.

Because the number one factor in the success of a hunt, should not be the use of an electronic attractant. See juvies up north and all manner of hunting ducks in dry fields.

Because a ban will vastly improve the overall hunter experience of everyone in Louisiana. Even the youngsters who were born into this mess that passes for duck hunting today, will be able to develop a few more skills and a deeper appreciation of the sport.

Last edited:

H20DAD

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Because they are still killing off or educating every juvenile before they get to southern Missouri.

Because the number one factor in the success of a hunt, should not be the use of an electronic attractant. See juvies up north and all manner of hunting ducks in dry fields.

Because a ban will vastly improve the overall hunter experience of everyone in Louisiana. Even the youngsters who were born into this mess that passes for duck hunting today, will be able to develop a few more skills and a deeper appreciation of the sport.

So, everyone else should bow to Louisiana? Isn’t that the place where DU had to invest lots and lots of money to get the locals to stop shooting 90 plus ducks a day, in my lifetime? That’s laughable.

Move north or get used to change.

ukcpeak

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
They are starting to legalaize electronic callers to your north as well, hang on.
Canada has legalized electronic calls in designated areas for over abundant species. Namely snow geese…

There is no light goose conservation season in Canada after duck season closes. I’ve shot piles of ducks on the Canadian prairies over a white goose spread and an ecaller during their duck season. Ducks were not the target species but legal to take along with dark geese. Also you are not allowed to use any as in not even one dark decoy of any type. No Canadas, specs, ducks,or cranes. Even blue phase snow goose decoys are prohibited if you are using an ecaller.

Not sure if you are trolling or just ignorant. Either way your repeated assertion that Canada allows electronic duck calls is misleading and false.

Last edited:

ukcpeak

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
So, everyone else should bow to Louisiana? Isn’t that the place where DU had to invest lots and lots of money to get the locals to stop shooting 90 plus ducks a day, in my lifetime? That’s laughable.

Move north or get used to change.
So DU is into enforcement now? I’m calling Bs. Either post some articles backing up your claims or just admit your not very good at trolling and be on your way.

Last edited:

Rick Hall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Doubt DU spent a dime on any of it, but the then outdoors editor for the Minneapolis/St. Paul paper, Dennis Anderson, did a series on Louisiana poaching back in the '80s that sparked a drive by the Minnesota Waterfowl Association and others to buy the Feds a helicopter for Louisiana enforcement, which they did. Don't know what became of it, but know the feds told me the money would have gone a lot farther had they just leased.

Regardless, it wasn't the helicopter but the derth of ducks in the late '80s and realization that the resource wasn't unlimited that finally changed the popular perception of poachers from heroic outlaw to effin thief.

Wasn't a bit surprising that when I interviewed Anderson, he told me the most disappointing thing to him was how many Minnesotans then came out of the woodwork to tell him about poaching in his own state. As the late USFWS Special Agent, Dave Hall, was always quick to point out, it's not a cultural thing so much as one of opportunity. Find where most of the birds are, and you'll find most of the outlaws.

ukcpeak

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Doubt DU spent a dime on any of it, but the then outdoors editor for the Minneapolis/St. Paul paper, Dennis Anderson, did a series on Louisiana poaching back in the '80s that sparked a drive by the Minnesota Waterfowl Association and others to buy the Feds a helicopter for Louisiana enforcement, which they did. Don't know what became of it, but know the feds told me the money would have gone a lot farther had they just leased.

Regardless, it wasn't the helicopter but the derth of ducks in the late '80s and realization that the resource wasn't unlimited that finally changed the popular perception of poachers from heroic outlaw to effin thief.

Wasn't a bit surprising that when I interviewed Anderson, he told me the most disappointing thing to him was how many Minnesotans then came out of the woodwork to tell him about poaching in his own state. As the late USFWS Special Agent, Dave Hall, was always quick to point out, it's not a cultural thing so much as one of opportunity. Find where most of the birds are, and you'll find most of the outlaws.
Seems like I heard the the helicopter crashed. No serious injuries, but the helicopter was totaled.

I’ve never been checked by a fed, when I wasn’t covered up in ducks.

Arkansas Fowler

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Arkansas Game and fish banned them on all public land , but on private you can use them ! Pretty stupid ask me doesn’t make since said they trick young ducks ,but private land can use them ! Come on !! That was a compromise to help dealers out . While every State allows them we ont crazy !!!