Spring Turkey's

noweil

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Anyone out chasing them? I have seen more birds this last fall and spring than I have in a number of years. Last year was the first spring we have not had buffalo gnats since 2011. I believe the gnats are why our turkey numbers have been down in recent years. I heard more gobbling yesterday morning than I had heard in recent years.
20220416_070403.jpg
20220416_154505.jpg

chasin mallards

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I killed one last Monday the first day of the 1st season in the northern zone about 6:30 am. I heard 7 different birds gobbling that morning. I went out that evening to try and roost one of the remaining birds and not a sound. Took a friend the next day to that area and again not one gobbled that morning. We did have one respond to a call about 7:30 and he was laying in the decoys about 10 minutes later.

Yesterday in the south zone for 3rd season a friend and I had roosted a bird on the edge of a field. We set up on that same field where we could see him and had the decoys in front of us. He gobbled a ton. He pitched down toward us and landed about 10 yards from the decoys and hunt was over at 6:02 am to fill my second tag. One more tag to go in the northern zone for 5th season.

riverrat47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I got one last Monday at 09:30, first day for first season in the northern zone. I didn't have access to a scale, but I estimated him to be close to 23#, with a 10.5" beard, but both spurs were broken off...the longer one about 2/3" long.

noweil

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I got one last Monday at 09:30, first day for first season in the northern zone. I didn't have access to a scale, but I estimated him to be close to 23#, with a 10.5" beard, but both spurs were broken off...the longer one about 2/3" long.
Killing one the first morning is nice. Sitting on the ground for days leaning against a tree for hours is getting old, or I am.

riverrat47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Killing one the first morning is nice. Sitting on the ground for days leaning against a tree for hours is getting old, or I am.
In my younger days, I'd sometimes wait for a bigger deer or turkey or hold my shot hoping to work the bigger flock. NO MORE. I went home empty-handed too many times. Now, I take the first decent shot I have. Besides, that ground gets hard and that tree knot that always seems to hit you right on a vertebrate gets bigger and more painful by the hour, day, or year. Yep, you are getting old, Mike. I've been there for quite some time.