Starting on the house

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by Mean Gene, Sep 12, 2019 at 7:03 AM.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Well, while we were out in Washington for my daughter's wedding something grew in the hole on our property. This is as far as things can progress for now, but next April the covered porch, garage and mud room slabs go in and immediately after that nails start getting pounded. Shell should be up by mid June and in July Me, my brother and an occasional friend will start doing all the interior work. Man, there are so many things to think about in this project...I had no idea. But, that aside, it's fun and we're going to end up with a nice place that we designed to fit our needs, we'll end up with far less of a mortgage due to paying for many things up front and sweat equity, and we'll have a house that is worth a whole lot more than we have into it. We have bought and sold other houses in the past but this is the first time we're ever gone from dirt to house. Good times.

Foundation 1.jpg Foundation 2.jpg Foundation 3.jpg

3-1/2 MAG likes this.
  2. enzinn

enzinn Senior Refuge Member

Working on the house in the spring and summer is going to cut into your fishing time!

The details involved in developing raw land can certainly be overwhelming for the uninitiated. Heck, I have seen the best architects, planners or general contractors miss important stuff on residential projects.

Looks solid. Will you building a workshop or garage too? Will you be able to stay in it winter of 2020 and do the finish work, or will you return in spring 2021 to complete the finish work?

3. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

It'll be finished next summer. My brother is coming out for the entire months of July and August to help me. Electrician friend will be here as soon as the structure is up and we'll have power to the house when he gets here. I already have the flooring material. Waiting on cabinet bids. Drywall guys will do the ceilings and my brother and I will do the walls. We will tape, mud and paint. House insulation in the walls and floor is spray foam and the ceiling will be blown in. Insulation in the shop will be batting and the walls will be plywood. Rough plumbing will be in place before we start our work. My brother is well versed in all aspects of the construction/finishing process and I am well versed in all aspects of everything except framing and electrical. During the electrical portion my job title will be "grunt". I'm not worried at all about having it done next summer and we will most definitely be living in it by then even if I have small things to finish. Shop slab will go in next April and that will be framed at the same time as the house.

4. enzinn

enzinn Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like you have it dialed in. Even if something happens to the schedule, you'll have an insulated house with heat by the time the temps drop.

I learned my lesson from the last two winters and I am having more insulation blown into the attic and having all the crappy entry-level windows replaced with high efficiency windows and decent blinds to the keep the heat in and that ice cold howling wind out.