Starting time for opener

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by tanner, Oct 5, 2013.

1. tanner

tanner Refuge Member

I cannot understand why we have to have a special starting time on the duck opener. This morning was the worst early start I have ever witnessed in 50 years of hunting. I was on the south end of Farmington Bay. At 7:00 all heck broke loose. While there will always be those that blatantly break the rules I feel their were many who did not catch the tiny * after the sunrise time and the note below. Why not keep it simple so the slower folks, or those new to the sport can easily understand the hours of legal shooting.
    Those of us who patiently waited for 7:30 were pretty ticked off and many gave into shooting so they would not miss out. Starting the season at the same time as the rest of the days of the season seems the easiest solution unless some lawmaker feels they need to pl:amenay games with the start time to write more tickets to add funds to Fish & Game or whoever gets the fine $.
    The rules should be clearly written and easy to follow if you want folks to obey them.

2. RiverRat77

RiverRat77 Senior Refuge Member

What surprises me is that people are still surprised by this. I've been hunting for ten years or so, which isn't much compared to you guys and I'm not shocked by this at all. Shouldn't you just hit a point where you expect that bs on the opener? :confused: It won't ever change. The DWR is undermanned and can't possibly slap all the idiots with meaningless cheap tickets although it would sure be a nice end to the pipe dream if they all got 300 dollar tickets.

3. tanner

tanner Refuge Member

So back to my original question. Why not just have the opener start 1/2 hr before sunrise like every other day of the season and list the sunrise time.
    Keep it simple for everyone. Same for the pheasant hunt.
    There would probably be a lot less tickets to write and be easier to to understand for all.

4. C-dizzle

C-dizzle Senior Refuge Member

I can't agree with you more. If they want to delay the start time on the opener(for whatever reason) that's fine but they need to make it absolutely clear in LARGE BOLD PRINT or dedicate a half page the proclamation to simply identify the intended time of shooting on the opening morning in the selected counties. A tiny * and fine print on the bottom of the page is rediculous! I talked to a couple of gentlemen and a young kid while loading their boat at the launch after the hunt who wouldn't strike me as dumb redneck duck hunters were convinced that the start time was 7 o'clock and claimed to have looked over the proc with a fine tooth comb would not believe me about the Asterix and the proper start time of 730 at Ogden Bay. that tells me that most people who started shooting at 7 o'clock fully believed they were abiding by the rules ( which screwed up our opening half hour by the way) and that the division needs to pull their head out and either do away with it or make it absolutely cr enough that even a first time 10 year old duck hunter would understand it.

Other than that we had a great time and just ecstatic that the season is upon us :)

5. Ton

Ton Senior Refuge Member

Want to make it easy and clear. Post a sign at every entrance point saying opening morning shooting starts at 7:30AM. problem solved!

6. silversurfer

silversurfer Elite Refuge Member

:tu:tu

7. BLKFTDN

BLKFTDN Elite Refuge Member

Im shocked that some of y'all are shocked. LOL, an early start to another opener? Really?? :scratch :eek: ... :nutz

Wouldnt matter if it were to be put on a BILLBOARD, or stamped on every hand and forehead as they passed through the gate, early starts would/are STILL/will always happen.

For those of you in the know, why the delay anyway?

8. Pintail Hunter

Pintail Hunter Elite Refuge Member

I was at a meeting on Friday and specifically asked the DWR Waterfowl manager why they changed the guidebook. His boss, the DWR director, was there too. He said they changed it to make it more consistent with the upland game guidebook and other guidebooks that listed shooting hours. Now they supposedly all use the same benchmark, sunrise and sunset.

That being said, the way things were worded clearly led to confusion. I'm sure the guy has caught hell from all the WMA managers. Image what would have happened at BRBR if it had been open!! The feds would have had a field day and the local Justice of the Peace would have had a big headache with guys saying the guidebook wasn't clear and therefore it wasn't their fault.

Anyway, I'm sure the DWR won't hear the end of this right up till August next year when the 2014-2015 proclamation goes before the Northern RAC. I'm sure that at a minimum the description of shooting hours will be re-written.

Better yet, I like the idea of just having it start at the usual 30 minutes before sunrise. Over the past decade or so it's been moved from 12:00 noon, to 8:00 am to 7:30 am. Why not now just make it the same as all the other days of the season and avoid any confusion. The reason for delaying the opening time was to accomdate the high number of hunters on opening day. Probably not needed anymore.

Besides, sheer darkness will minimize the pre-opening time shooting.

9. western squawker

western squawker Senior Refuge Member

So the reason opening day time is delayed is based on a concern for safety. Evidently we hunters are unsafe in the dark on Saturday but safe on Sunday. I've pointed out the silliness of this to Tom in the past but evidently someone in the division still holds on to it.

That said, the proclamation is pretty clear. The asterisk is an excuse IMHO. Took me 30 seconds on me iPhone in the boat to confirm it was 7:30. Props to all those that held out.

10. RiverRat77

RiverRat77 Senior Refuge Member

Without quick and decisive enforcement bearing penalties that wield a little bit of a sting, early shooters will still shoot early. I'm sure a lot figure if everyone else is doing it, they will too and there just "isn't any way they'll catch me". I've never seen them bust anyone for it.... so I think that is a huge issue out there.

I have heard about the old guy out at Fish Springs tagging people for early and late shooting. Don't know why more officers don't follow suit. At Farmington when I hunted there, they could rake in the ticket money for that kind of thing.