California Flyway Forum Sponsors

State Supreme Court

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by OLY, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Seahawk18

Seahawk18 Senior Refuge Member

Same as above but our compensation was based on an average of three highest years. I cashed out vacation pay and was given service credit for unused sick leave. Those did not figure into retirement compensation.

Mort, dl537, CalBaer and 1 other person like this.
  2. Drake Slayer

Drake Slayer Elite Refuge Member

Somewhere standing in stinky water cussing my damn
    Doesn't count where I work either.

Mort, dl537 and freefall like this.
  3. Tommyo

Tommyo Elite Refuge Member

I will believe it when I see it. Reform of what? Spiking or 10% less padding?

4. smith46

smith46 Senior Refuge Member

1937 retirement system doesn’t count these. Average of 3 highest base salary years.

dl537 likes this.
  5. Another Mike

Another Mike Elite Refuge Member

That’s pretty standard. Some have the high 3 average. For local as well.

6. Letumwork

Letumwork Senior Refuge Member

The department I retired from was in CALPERS. We were allowed to use the highest consecutive 12 month period within the last 3 years of employment. Some departments have to average the last 3 years. It all depends on what the bargaining unit negotiated. We were allowed to count base pay+incentive pay(Paramedic, Hazmat, EMT, Q clearance etc)+ Holiday pay and Uniform allowance toward our final calculation. Sick leave, overtime and unused vacation pay were not counted toward our pensionable pay however we could sell the sick leave back to the City or turn it in to PERS for service credit. Much of the spiking that took place involved employees outside of the bargaining unit that could save up many years of vacation and sick leave and then cash it out right before retirement and then count that towards their pension calculation. I could throw out some names and you could look them up on the public pay websites but I won't. Lets just say some of the white shirts are living in the lap of luxury in their retirement years. Makes all of us look bad but at the time it was allowed by law. The 1937 act used to have different rules than PERS but I've been out of the loop for awhile now so who knows. The Ventura decision affected many County employees and what they were allowed or not allowed to count. That is all!

freefall likes this.
  7. Red foot

Red foot Elite Refuge Member

Thanks. You stated that well. I know several individuals whose final annual pay (upon which their pension was based) was close to 75% above their regular annual pay. And yes, that web site that posted state employees wages was very telling.

8. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I’ve personally not seen that. I’ve seen vacations cashed out but not pensionable. I’ve seen earned sick hours allowed to be used for post employment health insurance but that’s about it. Retirement was based on highest 12 months without extra incentive pays. Pretty standard stuff. Those things must be happening way up the food chain.

yellowlabhunter and dl537 like this.
  9. Baldplate

Baldplate Senior Refuge Member

Every time someone starts one of these discussions that is basically bashing public employee benefits my answer was and is why did you not apply to be a Sheriff Deputy or Police Officer. I remember we always were looking for qualified candidates who could pass a background. What no takers come on it's the yellow brick road to piles of wealth. All you have to do is put a target on your back, deal with all forms of humans at their very worst. If you think you have seen what one human can do to another, just wait 60 seconds and someone can top that. Sure the soldier in combat sees some bad stuff, but what I am talking about is happening in your neighborhood, schools, stores, parks and places of worship.

I forgot while your waiting for that pile of money prepared to introduce your family to the Idea that Christmas is actual December 26 or 27th. Yes kids mom or Dad only sleeps at home two days a week (firefighter families get that benefit as well). The list goes on, but I knew that going into the business, but my future wife and unborn children didn't agree to exchange quality time with a parent or spouse for future piles of cash for Mom or Dad after a career of thirty years or more.

Every benefit I or any professional Law Enforcement Officer or Firefighter gets was legal, negotiated for, and well earned. Yes, some of the pension reforms were needed to help make the retirement system more sustainable. Most all of the lack of funding is a direct result of the State, City and County governments' taking the millions they saved by negotiating for and agreeing to pay for benefits instead of higher salaries and funding their pet projects with the money they diverted.

To put this simply when my City offered a dollar pay raise, we said we will accept 50 cents and place the other 50 cents in our pension for when we retire. The employers agreed but never put the 50 cents into our pension. Now government agencies are claiming we have no money.

I will shut up I have to make an appointment at the bank to go count my pile of cash.
    Blair. Retired Law Enforcement nearly 30 years.

By the way there are still plenty of unfilled Law Enforcement and Fire Fighter career unfilled. That's what I thought silence.

10. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

Most of the red faced frothing at the mouth criticisms I read or hear along these lines are from doggedly politically ideological people who are principally against all government AND have no clue about that of which they speak. You know the kind...those who hold up those intelligent signs at rallies who say "keep the government hands out of my medicare", etc... So the trend continues.

Unfortunately such empty headed un-researched and often fabricated nonsense has a way of perpetuating itself among the same lemming mindset of folks as they share their skewed world views within their echo chamber of empty heads. What I read at times on this forum is no exception to this rule. Unfortunately many of these people are of an age they can vote and drink.....the folly of these over indulgences often ending with the same results.

(In my best Forrest Gump accent)...that's all I have to say about that.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    mudhen and dl537 like this.