Steel shot

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Sam Ortmann, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Sam Ortmann

Sam Ortmann Senior Refuge Member

I kinda relegated myself to missing the season this year being in school in an urban area and all and not having the time to drive and scout and hunt. However, I just got an invite to hunt a buddies place that’s supposed to be crawling with birds so I couldn’t pass it up. All my turkey loads are at home though and with the ammo shortage I’m kinda SOL with trying to get some this short notice. Both the local sporting goods stores are out. I’ve got some 2 3/4” lead 6’s and 7.5’s left over from dove season and some 3” steel 4’s from duck season though. I’m assuming the 4’s are fine as long as I keep under 35-40 yards. I haven’t patterned them on a turkey board but they shot good for me all duck season out to about that distance. I know you folks out in California have to use nontoxic shot, so does anybody have any experience or advice?

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  2. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Turkey Hunters Forum Moderator

NorCal: specs,sprig,gobblers, blacktails.
    Bismuth. Or Tungsten.
    A box should last you a couple of seasons.

3. Larry Welch

Larry Welch Senior Refuge Member

I use lead 6s, 1 1/4oz, 2 3/4 with no issues. Sure 4 steel would work at those ranges.

Sam Ortmann likes this.
  4. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Turkey Hunters Forum Moderator

NorCal: specs,sprig,gobblers, blacktails.
    Used to use lead 6’s when we could. Now bismuth 6’s...

Sam Ortmann likes this.
  5. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

2-3/4 High brass #6 Remington Express work just fine, If you can talk him into the Amen corner.

Luigi Daniele, JFG and Sam Ortmann like this.
  6. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Within 30 yds, shoot what you want, they’ll all kill turkeys.

7. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Those 3" #4 steel loads through a full choke should handle any turkey out to 35 yards, IF you can center the pattern on the mid-neck area.

Here are some pattern numbers to give you an idea of the kind of performance you may get with the 3" #4 steel load and a full choke. Of course, it would be good for you to shoot a few patterns at 35 yards to confirm your load/choke combo before taking them to the woods.

Pattern testing was accomplished by using 48-inch x 48-inch pattern paper with a turkey head-and-neck target placed in the center of each pattern sheet prior to the patterning shot; yardages were measure with a tape from muzzle to target; and pattern counts, pattern percentages and Skull/Cervical Vertebrae (S/CV) hits were the average from five patterns.

In-shell pellet count averages were the result of cutting open and counting the pellets from five shells out of the same box/lot as the pattern loads. These in-shell pellet counts allowed for true pattern percentage calculations.

40-YARD PATTERN
    Rem Nitro Steel 3” 1 3/8 oz #4 steel (256 pellets)
    30” pattern 209 (82%) -- S/CV hits 3.4

Good luck!

8. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

I think you'd be better off with the lead 6s from dove season or whatever shell has the most pellets between those and the steel 4s. The major issue with both is going to be pellet count. Even with a centered pattern you may only get 2 or 3 into the spine or skull.

A duck is a lot bigger than a turkey's brain.

9. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

If you can’t kill a turkey with lead 6s, you need to start wearing a dress. It’s a turkey not a velociraptor.

Luigi Daniele, JFG and Sam Ortmann like this.
  10. Fogie

Fogie Elite Refuge Member

Forget that steel, at that range catching the noggin is iffy..the lead 6 all day

Luigi Daniele likes this.