Still big bucks Ca.

dakinunit

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not bad buck still running around in CA after all the fires..
20221118_164235.jpg

dakinunit

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
This guy is about 29" i say around 205lbs he has a friend up the road that's probably 235lbs and 30 plus" these guy's will spare off the next week in the hard rut, so hope to snap some pics of them 2 going at it next week..These boy's are safe from hunters that's for sure..

ducknutz

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Awful lot of black on the tail. Hybrid?

dakinunit

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Awful lot of black on the tail. Hybrid?
95% sure it's a cross they all are,just a normal x zone buck,good set of horns ,mule deer,small body blacktail,pretty easy to tell it's a cross,I think every deer in CA is a cross at some point.. Old timers always said westside of Hwy I 5 blacktail,eastside were mule deer,sorry deer do cross the road lol

Last edited:

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
95% sure it's a cross they all are,just a normal x zone buck,good set of horns ,mule deer,small body blacktail,pretty easy to tell it's a cross,I think every deer in CA is a cross at some point.. Old timers always said westside of Hwy I 5 blacktail,eastside were mule deer,sorry deer do cross the road lol
Not always as just north of Coalinga Mulies were brought in to coss and to this day 150 FD's bucks have been killed !
There's a difference between Mendocino Blacktail and those found south ! Those old Pacific Bucks in the Sierras stay in the park until snow
runs them out but , as we all know , no snow , they stay right there .
Looking at the annual harvest reports , it's a shame that most of the breeding is from younger 2 or 3 year olds ! With the Doe's carrying
the Gene pool , the Big Horned bucks of 5 yrs and older are only managing a few does each season .
It's a shame we are allowing this to degrade our Deer herds by killing off so many younger bucks ?

Luigi Daniele

Big Game, Turkey Forums
Reaction score
Yup.