Stoeger M3000 or Beretta A300?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Newgooser2020, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

People always think they need the latest and greatest most powerful or gimmick load and you really don't. You will see that in all sides of waterfowl hunting. Some people think decoys need to quack, blink their eyes ad poop, others think they need the newest camo pattern and a $300 custom call. The list just keeps going. Don't fall into that way of thinking. I'm killing birds over 35 year old flembeau decoys with a .410 using steel or bismuth 6's and a 16 gauge with factory steel 4's, both are Rem 1100's, the 16 gauge is 46 years old. I'm using a $20 Haydels call and a $7 duck commander whistle wearing a mix of camo patterns. When I was still shooting a 12 gauge I was killing 200-300 birds per season using 2 3/4" Xperts with all of the same old gear.

Newgooser2020 likes this.
  2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

You only need it if you can consistently center birds at 35+ yards. Statistics say neither you nor your crew can do that. In fact, the 3.5 inch 12 is crap. The 10 gauge is serious medicine for those who can shoot, but the 3.5 12 is a joke on hunters.

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

LOL, we agree on almost nothing except shooting ducks.

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Most of the time I don't think we even agree on that. :l

Other than the guns I use I pretty much use old decoys and cheap calls just because I can and it drives other hunters nuts when they see the old decoys and cheap gear I'm using as I'm packing out a limit. I used to think like most guys and think I needed the best. I worked for a club to earn a seat in the blind when one was empty and had my own lease, but now I've sold most of my realistic decoys and all of my calls that cost more than a cheap Haydels and hunt exclusively on public land. It's just to go against the grain and prove to myself and others that it can be done.

5. dwr353

dwr353 Senior Refuge Member

I was raised pass shooting birds. Went to 12 ga. 3&1/2, then to 10 ga. This was when I had access to geese. My buddy died and the goose land went to heirs. Sold the 10 ga first. I realized for ducks that 3&1/2 shells were not worth the cost or kick. Went to Canada on a goose hunt. I brought 3in #1s and 3&1/2 BB's. I watched my buddy fold a Canada at 50 yards with#1. I said bet I can do that. Switched shells and stoned ducks and geese with #1 shot. Brought back the 3&1/2 shells back to La.i have not shot one 3&1/2 since. I will soon sell them on marketplace to a bigger is better hunter. I will buy 12 ga 2&3/4 shells with the proceeds to feed my Browning Light 12 for the days when my Sweet 16 stays home.

6. illinideer

illinideer Refuge Member

Newgooser
    I was in the same boat as you 2 years ago had a friend that I trap for let me into to their group that hunts.Most of them shoot the new Browning A5's and 3.5. One friend has shot the 3500 for a long time no problems till last year, started having trouble ejecting shells. Stoeger replaced the bolt assy and its back to normal.
    For myself I picked up a used mossberg 930 last winter started out with factory 3 inch federal and estate ammo BB and 1 shot. Those 2 patterned the best for me This summer I started loading my own 2 3/4 shells . Got a couple that pattern really well now in #1 shot. Have taken 4 geese with them so far.
    One good lesson that I learned this fall I was doing a solo hunt in a silage field and missed a couple of times that were right around 25-30 yard crossing in front of me. Went home and set up with my trap machine for a similar shot. Found out I was way way overleading them. Big difference for my sight lead picture when comparing it to my 1150 fps trap loads vs my 1550 and 1630 fps steel loads. For me to consistently break clays I had to be right on it.
    Hit the pattern board and experiment with different chokes for which ever gun you chose if you haven't already. Hope I haven't rambled on to much.
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone here
    Justin

Newgooser2020 and dwr353 like this.
  7. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

They had nothing but A300s at voldemorts sporting goods yesterday. I rubbed it in by saying "I thought you sold nice berettas here".
    That damn mask. I say and do things wearing it that id never do if they could see my face. :)

8. Newgooser2020

Newgooser2020 Refuge Member

Well I went with the beretta A300 in camo for $700 out the door. The Stoeger was nice but Beretta being made in America is even better and it felt more quality to me.

ronaldo likes this.
  9. Newgooser2020

Newgooser2020 Refuge Member

Great! Now you tell me the outlander is bad!

10. Dr Duk

Dr Duk Elite Refuge Member

You picked the better of the 2 choices!