Striper fishing ?

JohnBZ

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Looking at going on a trip down to Tennessee with the family at some point in the next year or two. Wanting to spend a good day on the water with a good chance at tying into a striped bass. The entire trip won't be fishing focused but I'd like to spend a solid day on the water while down there and get one of my bucket list fish. Any suggestions on where to start looking ? I have no firm time of year or location in mind. My wife and kid would prefer it be not cold outside. I personally don't care but I doubt I'll win that battle. Thanks

AppalachianHollers

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
If you’re daft, you can always play the game below the Watts Bar Dam.

But it’s a special kind of situation that demands extreme caution, and heavy tackle. Not so much because of the size of the fish, so much as the fact you’re contending with the churn of the generators. Swivels, heavy weights, heavy line, and usually live shad (which you can catch with a special throw net not far from where you tie off).

You’ll catch catfish beneath any of the dams in East Tennessee, but the stripers play well below Watts Bar especially.

AppalachianHollers

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Oh, and don’t dare take your thick, foam life jacket off. There are so many bubbles in the water, you’re as good as dead if you fall off and have to rely on your swimming skills.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Looking at going on a trip down to Tennessee with the family at some point in the next year or two. Wanting to spend a good day on the water with a good chance at tying into a striped bass. The entire trip won't be fishing focused but I'd like to spend a solid day on the water while down there and get one of my bucket list fish. Any suggestions on where to start looking ? I have no firm time of year or location in mind. My wife and kid would prefer it be not cold outside. I personally don't care but I doubt I'll win that battle. Thanks

You can pretty much catch a striper from one end of the state to the other if you know where to look. What does the rest of the family want to do?

JohnBZ

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
You can pretty much catch a striper from one end of the state to the other if you know where to look. What does the rest of the family want to do?
They would be content on a beach or in a swimming pool somewhere. Honesty a warm climate, beautiful scenery and a few good places to eat will do it for them. Our little guy will be around 4 years old so he is easily entertained by the usual kids stuff. We are also considering pulling our travel trailer down there for the trip but are not set on that by any means. Im fine renting a place or a cabin. I may also bring his grandmother along as she keeps asking to come with on these trips so the small man will likely not be on the boat and will get a grandma day. Our very limited striper fishery in this state is a shell of what it used to be. They just don't stock them like they used to. If im going to drive a few hours to a power plant lake id rather find a place where ive got a good chance at tying into a nice fish and make it worthwhile. Will definitely be booking a guide wherever we land.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
They would be content on a beach or in a swimming pool somewhere. Honesty a warm climate, beautiful scenery and a few good places to eat will do it for them. Our little guy will be around 4 years old so he is easily entertained by the usual kids stuff. We are also considering pulling our travel trailer down there for the trip but are not set on that by any means. Im fine renting a place or a cabin. I may also bring his grandmother along as she keeps asking to come with on these trips so the small man will likely not be on the boat and will get a grandma day. Our very limited striper fishery in this state is a shell of what it used to be. They just don't stock them like they used to. If im going to drive a few hours to a power plant lake id rather find a place where ive got a good chance at tying into a nice fish and make it worthwhile. Will definitely be booking a guide wherever we land.

I’m on the west end of the state, so most of my striper fishing is immediately below Pickwick Dam. The stripers there are the Gulf strain and don’t get very big, so probably not the best spot if a trophy is what you’re after. That said, you could get a half day catching stripers and then go after trophy smallmouth. There are some nice condos with pools just south of the dam, and you could rent a pontoon and see some of the lake while looking for a beach.

Honestly, I’d look toward the eastern end of the state for big stripers, but I’m not familiar enough to be of help.

coachcornbread

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I would look at either below Ft Loudon dam in Lenior City or below Watts Bar dam in Spring City. Norris Lake just outside Knoxville is pretty solid too. There are numerous guides that can be found with a google search.

If the family is wanting to go to the beach, I woud look at a trip to Weldon NC for the annual striper run. The run is starting to heat up now and 100+ fish a day is not uncommon,plus your about an hour or so away from the outer banks.