Decoy Forum Sponsors

Stuffers

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Rick Egner, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Rick Egner

Rick Egner Senior Refuge Member

Going to take the plunge and make a couple stuffer decoys before the season starts. Was looking for some do's & dont's, mainly the type of connection from body to stand, movement vrs no movement! Hunted over some a few times in Washington but never paid real attention but it seemed to me like they were mounted on a spring. Thanks

2. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

I had a bunch years ago Rick and they were attached to a square plywood base with a regular heavy taxidermy wire. Good luck with them…send pics! Mine were ugly hand me down stuffers and they were a pain to store, but they worked.

creedsduckman likes this.
  3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I am no expert but I have seen many made with a small wire loop or just a metal bolt with a nut on the end painted black that comes up through the back of the decoy. You can't see it from 20 feet away but it allows for ease of handling the decoys

4. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Most I have seen were wired to a 12" square of plywood with a big loop to grab on the top of bird for carrying. Guy i know was going to try to mount some on a square metal decoy stake for some motion and last I heard it was a pain to do. I think they were going to try to weld a big washer on the metal rod coming up from the metal decoy stand and were trying to figure out how to attach some black cord to the bird to limit it spinning around. I have hunted over some nice ones and some not so nice and they all work. Pain to pamper though. Seen a guide years ago pile them in and out of a open pickup truck and we couldn't believe it. He told us even the chitty stuffers were better than any store bought decoy but this was back in the late 70's early 80's when full bodies decoys were limited. I think carry lite full bodies and big foots were the two big full bodies decoys that came into the market in the 80's.

5. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

I have two that I made a couple years ago. I have zero taxidermy experience. It took me around 40 hours to do the first one. That's including the time it took to build a flesher. The second one I did in about ten hours. I used 3/16 all thread through the body and into the plywood base. I've only used them a handful of times. The birds definitely like them. I keep them in the house. Away from heat, humidity, and insects. I removed as much fat as I could and used plenty of borax. It was very time consuming but, I enjoyed the project. Hopefully I'll get time to do more someday.

6. Rick Egner

Rick Egner Senior Refuge Member

I've been mounting birds for while and am a welder by trade so this should be an easy project for me! I think I'll make the base out of rebar, just was wondering if anyone messed with movement? Hope to try to get 2 done before early honker season, we'll see! Mike, I'll shoot u some pix when I'm done! Thanks

7. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I doubt my dog could resist retrieveling a stuffer.

8. Hellbender

Hellbender Elite Refuge Member

One of very first goose hunts (I think I was about 14 years old) was over a spread of stuffers. Nothing like the real thing to decoy birds. Just a warning with storage. Keep them airtight plastic bags for the moths will have a feast. Transporting them without causing damage will also be a challenge. Good luck.