Suburb geese

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by bulldogeverett, Nov 29, 2013.

1. bulldogeverett

bulldogeverett Senior Refuge Member

Well. I've made my annual trek north to visit the in-laws for the holidays. The amount of geese in northern il suburbs blows my mind. Drove past a small lake on the interstate that I swear had 50,000 geese sitting on it. Now I'm sitting in the living room watching flight after flight coming off the roost going out to feed. Aargh! I did manage to flag down a couple farmhands this evening (much to the chagrin of wife and kids while in the minivan) and got the name and cell phone of the farmer in the area. Praying for a miracle!

2. Jerry

Jerry Elite Refuge Member

They are like rats with wings up there. I stayed at a Hampton Inn in Yorkville (Chicago burbs) last yr. it was next to a harvested corn field. I went out to lay in the weeds and had them landing all around. pretty cool. Good luck on the lead.

3. auto5

auto5 Elite Refuge Member

iffin you ain't got the necessities to field hunt, holla at me :flame

4. emfowler24

emfowler24 Senior Refuge Member

Why are those geese not moving south, and how many of those geese end up residents? Would love to hear your opinions.

5. TJP

TJP Senior Refuge Member

I live in the Northwest Suburbs of the city. We have a ton of residents stay here year round. We witnessed over a thousand geese and a couple hundred ducks tornado a field like we were in Nodak or something on Saturday. We pulled over on the side of the road, and watched for 15 minutes as group after group after group landed in the field. Unfortunately, the "corporation"/landowner does not allow anyone to hunt any of their fields ever since they got burned by Wings over Water.

6. bulldogeverett

bulldogeverett Senior Refuge Member

There is enough open water (suburb ponds with fountains & the fast flowing fox river) intermixed among ag fields (yet to be subdivided), they never run out of food or a roost. It has to totally freeze up and cover up their food for them to move south even the slightest. I sat in my inlaws living room a few years ago over Christmas and literally watched geese stick their heads through 6 inches of snow to eat right off their back porch in the field behind them.

The good news is, my perseverance is about to pay off ;-)

7. webfoot78

webfoot78 Elite Refuge Member

Now that's awesome to hear man! Congrats!

8. dd2

dd2 Elite Refuge Member

Plenty of open water here yet. Birds are a lot more concentrated though.bigger roosts keep holes open, need at least 6" of snow or an ice storm to move them out. None of the migrators end up as residents, they're breeding grounds are imprinted.....up nort.

9. KillerKowalski

KillerKowalski Senior Refuge Member

They are. They started today. High noon about 10K high flying in groups 100+ heading straight South. They are coming.

10. webfoot78

webfoot78 Elite Refuge Member

Very few become residents outside cripples and the freezer.