Sunflower seed question

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by purlin12, May 12, 2016.

1. purlin12

purlin12 Senior Refuge Member

I have a question, last year I planted black oil seed sunflowers for our 6 acre sun flower patch. I been trying to find the sunflowers , that have the larger head that's about 4 foot tall. The sun flowers I had last year were small and did not produce a lot of seeds. I put up 120 yard wire above the patch and put in watering holes. I am trying to produce better dove harvest numbers this year.

2. eyeonyou

eyeonyou Elite Refuge Member

clearfield sunflower seed is the best way to go. Good luck finding them right now

3. chessydogs

chessydogs Refuge Member

Even better luck getting them planted with the constant rain. Like to have mine in by May 10th. Not happening this year. Maybe next week.

Plant fewer seed and fertilize properly and you will get bigger heads on most sunflowers. A bag of sunflowers will plant a lot of ground.

4. 7bartman

7bartman Elite Refuge Member

Try the David brand. I saw a couple bags in Walmart last night. They even come with salt for the doves.

straitmeat72 and Keith McGowan like this.
  5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

You guys obviously know diddly squat about planting for doves.

This method has worked for generations on the shore and requires little soil prep. Get a good mix of sunflower seed and wheat seed. Using a hand spreader, start "planting" on our about Blind Site licensing day, you may need to reseed a few more times prior to opening day.