Sure Cycle System

Kevin Burroughs

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI, I clean my guns, and don’t need someone telling me what I do and don’t know. It says your a supporting member, maybe you should support with positive comments!
So you really don't clean your gun properly and you want me to give you bad advice ?. I have fixed more jamming and slow running shotguns by a good proper deep cleaning than anything else. So I can "POSTIVELY COMMENT" that you really need to clean you shotgun correctly before you start throwing money at it. The fact you didn't know that the sure cycle is nothing more than a stainless recoil springs tells me you have never pulled yours out and cleaned and you are upset about being called on it.

You asked, I answered. You want a pat on the back, look elsewhere.

Learn how to clean your shotgun right and to take good advice.

Timber

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
So you really don't clean your gun properly and you want me to give you bad advice ?. I have fixed more jamming and slow running shotguns by a good proper deep cleaning than anything else. So I can "POSTIVELY COMMENT" that you really need to clean you shotgun correctly before you start throwing money at it. The fact you didn't know that the sure cycle is nothing more than a stainless recoil springs tells me you have never pulled yours out and cleaned and you are upset about being called on it.

You asked, I answered. You want a pat on the back, look elsewhere.

Learn how to clean your shotgun right and to take good advice.
I never said I didn’t know that it was just a stainless steel tube and spring!

Kevin Burroughs

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never said I didn’t know that it was just a stainless steel tube and spring!
Good luck dude, you are going to need it. I'm done with you.

Drundel

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have put them in a few guns but now just use the Wolff 25% extra coil spring and mag spring in all my guns. Recoil spring and tube really only need to cleaned if your gun is dunked. Otherwise I clean mine every other year.
Umm... I bet to differ, at least on a Benelli with a recoil tube in the stock.

When my SBE2 started acting up I fully stripped the gun, took off the part 74 (no clue the name, recoil spring cap?) and pulled out the spring, the plunger, and whatever else was inside along with I swear crude oil. It was just super think mess of oil, rice, unburnt powder, etc. 100% the first thing I would clean if my gun was not cycling.

The new owners will not sell the replacement spring. I have a Gold 10 Surecycle that has many rounds through it and has weakened over time. I made the mistake of not getting replacement springs from the first owne.
Jeff sold it?

To the OP, there should be PLENTY of videos on youtube about it, but put it in a padded vise, get some towels, a heat gun and a punch or drift and start to slowly put pressure on it. It will come out.

C M Wings

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Just went thru the whole gun, cleaning it with Breakfree CLP. I totally disassembled it, and cleaned it all. We’ll see how it works now. It was just getting slow Saturday morning, we had temps in the teens and it was getting slow, so I was thinking the Sure Cycle would be the ticket. I’ll update again when it gets cold again.
No it won’t if it’s only getting slow in the cold. A good cleaning and run it wiped dry from clp lube. Clean the recoil tube with a brass .22 brush and a drill. Clean the spring thoroughly. It’ll run. Had an 1187 that was finicky like that and that deep clean helped. What also helped was not brining it inside when it was cold to avoid condensation. If it’s running cold, keep it cold. May not be possible to do in a responsible manner but just if you can highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Brottboss

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've done a few over the years it's not difficult. Always store your gun upside down. That way the moisture doesn't wick down your action spring and corrode the spring and tube. That is the number one cause of slow or none cycling in our shotguns.
Been doing this for years on all my guns.
My sons sx4 would leak for 30min dumping water from the stock.
The spring would sit inundated in water for days, no more as he stores it barrel down,,,,,,,like his pops.

Squaller

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Springs compress over time... I have a Sure Cycle in an older gun... I felt it was worth while when it was the only stainless option.

Currently with other far more affordable stainless steel springs available, I do not see the great advantage with the Sure Cycle.

If after cleaning my gun, I still have short strikes on the primer it is time for a new hammer spring... If after cleaning, the gun is still running sluggish, time for a new recoil spring...

Just had both springs changed out this year, and over two years of heavy use there was substantial spring compression, and new springs make the gun function like new....

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Is that so? So your saying the recoil spring doesn't go bad. I see.
No i,m saying it takes an awful lot of shooting to effect them. Probably more than most hunting guns ever get before they,re traded. Anything man made can go bad or be not to spec from factory. If properly maintained a recoil spring in a hunting gun will last a long time. IF PROPERLY MAINTAINED.

C M Wings

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Springs compress over time... I have a Sure Cycle in an older gun... I felt it was worth while when it was the only stainless option.

Currently with other far more affordable stainless steel springs available, I do not see the great advantage with the Sure Cycle.

If after cleaning my gun, I still have short strikes on the primer it is time for a new hammer spring... If after cleaning, the gun is still running sluggish, time for a new recoil spring...

Just had both springs changed out this year, and over two years of heavy use there was substantial spring compression, and new springs make the gun function like new....
I def have 50k+ shells through each of my late 80s 1187s. One has the original recoil spring and the other a wolf replacement. Each runs fine as long as I keep the recoil tube dry. Once it gets wet and forms any ice from either the marsh or condensation they slow. The power of whatever spring you use is going to be very close to the original unless you buy one only for use with magnum shells. The material use for the spring only affects its resistance to corrosion. A spring material with a higher k value will be shorter (if measured uncoiled) than the original as less is needed to equal the overall push to close the action. It may also be shorter in coiled length. You can’t say this spring was compressed compared to that one unless they are the same material, wire diameter, and overall wire length. Springs are pretty resilient. They don’t really degrade over time unless they corrode. It takes a whole lot for them to take a set and lose power, and the longer the spring the more it takes. Thus hammer springs are more susceptible than the long recoil springs. A slow semi is usually due to resistance in the recoil tube. I’ve never had a gun with a mag tube recoil spring (xtrema) slow down even if soaked. Much less resistance in that more open configuration.