Surely not?

mister gadwall

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one on here who has killed a Longbeard so far this season?? Here’s one from yesterday.
45463764-8F43-42C8-99F1-FDBE35DBB05A.jpeg

widgeon

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ga season opened last sat. I got picked for a quota hunt in public land next week.

They delayed our season in an attempt to allow mature gobblers to mate with hens claiming they were being shot in the early part of the season. Our game cameras have yet to capture a gobbler with hens.only gobblers.

burgawboy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Youth season in this week. Opens this Saturday for Adults in NC.

nobands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Took yesterday off but here is intersting parts and pieces from another bird this week that I took View attachment 336928 today. Banded by TWRA. Banded and double beard. I may go buy my first ever lottery ticket after a nap.
Nice bird @mister gadwall . Interested in the band and why are they banded turkey ?
The dnr up here banded some birds on relocation when our population hadn't spread to all areas . Haven't heard of one for 25 years .

mister gadwall

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
nobands this link below will explain the scientific/biological reasons/ goals and the hunter harvest dynamics /affects on the states birds; information that will be useful in setting limits, seasons, affects of disease issues, and otherwise for TWRA biologists and managers who are monitoring the turkey banding project.

Apparently about 300 bands were used in this study and were placed on male birds in various areas of the state. They targeted, by cannon netting, primarily young male birds so they could start with a known age base for the project and the bands. Some of the bands were green metal and had a reward notice for their return. Others like mine were plain silver aluminum like a heavy duty riveted goose band. The link has a good explanation.

TWRA also used bands in the initial restocking , in the lates 70s to 90s.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/hunting/big-game/turkey/report-turkey-bands.html

Last edited: